T5 in 71 Camaro...

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Matt T, May 16, 2018.

1. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    So my son & I are finally going to build the 71 I've had since I was his age...
    We talked through work plans last night and decided we'd like to use the 305 and T-5 I already have from an 86 Trans Am donor. It's "free," and the parts lived together for 30 years already. My previous plan (swapping my 92 to a manual and using the Th700 in hte 71 went out the window because we're selling the 92). We're aiming for cheap and reliable, not fast so the weakness of the t-5 should not be a problem on a refresh of the 86 motor. Headers and a better carb will be the only changes.

I searched here for details, but hits were mostly for TKO and T56. I have all the 86 parts (still have the car until someone hauls it away).
    I know I'll need:
    -modify the 2nd gen crossmember (how much?)
    -get the electronic speedo setup changed to run the mechanical one in the 71 (how?)
    -2nd gen trans hump (or just cut a hole in the floor for now)
    Not sure:
    -3rd gen pedals work?
    -I know the hydraulic clutch linkage will, but not sure how to align
    (Maybe I should cut that floor section from the 86? There are two braces on the inside, but IDK if they will ine up with anything on the 71.)

Still just starting on sanding and rust repair for the body, then brakes and suspension installs, so it will be a while for drivetrain. Optimistically later in the summer, or winter, or next year--depends how hard we push and what else we find to fix along the way.

Thanks All.
    I'll have to get a build thread up as soon as we have something to show!

2. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Speedo gear for an 85 Firebird will slip right in. Just unbolt and remove the VSS in there now.

Measure and mod the crossmember so the trans. output height matches stock.

You can buy a plate that sandwiches between booster and firewall to help locate the hydro. master cylinder. The goal is to put the master in there to be pointed at the clutch pedal just like is done in the 86.

3. SH74OUR

SH74OUR Veteran Member

May 27, 2013
    london ontario
    From my understanding the F body T-5 bell housing clocks the transmission to the left by about 10 or so degrees and the shifter location on the tailstock is to far rearward.

I looked into the 2nd gen T-5 manual swap and from what info I gathered the best fit T-5 donor trans is one from a late 4.3 liter V6 S-10 pick up truck. The shifter is located on the left front portion of the tailstock.

I understand the direction your going with your build and good luck.

4. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    I bought a 1979 Camaro with a t5 from an 89 Camaro in it. I have answered what I know below.

-modify the 2nd gen crossmember (how much?) - I have a crossmember from another vehicle...I have no clue where it came from but I know it isn't from a 79 or 89 Camaro
    -get the electronic speedo setup changed to run the mechanical one in the 71 (how?) Not sure
    -2nd gen trans hump (or just cut a hole in the floor for now) - mine fit fine...but my 79 was an original automatic. The t5 fit in the same hole.
    Not sure:
    -3rd gen pedals work? I have the clutch pedal from the 89 in mine. The other pedals are the 79.
    -I know the hydraulic clutch linkage will, but not sure how to align
    (Maybe I should cut that floor section from the 86? There are two braces on the inside, but IDK if they will ine up with anything on the 71.)

5. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Thanks guys. Great to know the older (85 down Firebird) speedo drive is a drop in. So they clocked the 3rd gen trans different from the same one in an S-10 AND the shifter is too far back (I presume you mean for the 70-72 console location)?
    I have not measured anything yet, but I was going to start with comparing to the muncie in my 70 firebird.
    I'll still take more specifics on this swap if anyone has them.

Meanwhile our son is wire wheel and DAing front panels and blasting the tough spots. We hope to get some in epoxy soon and start patching the rusted areas, then start on the main shell. I need to separate at least the bottom of the fenders from the inner supports. I have to get a build thread up and dig through the body work threads for help on some details there.

6. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

installing the third gen F-body T5 with the third gen 17 degree canted bellhousing fits well and the shifter falls in an ergonomic placement with the following caveats:
    The flywheel is the 153 tooth, allowing a 10.75" clutch. "You must get a bigger bellhousing, an 11" clutch and 168t flywheel" was not something I ever thought necessary when daily driving third gen V8 T5s. But you may hear it.

The flip side is you have to route around the slave cylinder bracket on driver's side exhaust. But, you won't have to build an angle mount for the trans. mount.

However, your "too far rearward" shifter position will fall into your hand nicely if you keep the stock 86 setup, and cut the hole and figure out a console. For your project, it will cost you more in parts, give worse shifting, and gain nothing in function to focus on keeping the forward shifter position.

FWIW, I have daily driven S10 T5s, Third gen V8 T5s, with and without Hurst shifters, and even with swapped S10 shifter base on the Camaro box. If I come across as obsessing over the shifter issue, I do. I would like for your son and your project to drive as nicely as possible, and stick to budget. Sorry for the rant.