T56 Install

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Kyle C, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

I have a '97 T/A T56 sitting in my 73 camaro now trying to get the tunnel modded for the shifter. Is there any specific criteria I need to use relative to the tail shaft height when modding/making the cross member?

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The trans mount pad on the T56 is 1.625" lower than the TH-350 mount. So, when you mod the crossmember, drop it that much, and the trans yoke should end up in the same spot, vertically. Also, make sure you don't inadvertantly move it side-side when you bolt it back on to the subframe.

3. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess there's more info I should've included. The car had an M21 4sp in it, this is the cross member I've got. Would the M21 mount be the same height as a TH350?

4. schitzo

schitzo Veteran Member

when I did mine, I measured the angle the TH-350 was sitting at, then installed the T56 and positioned it with the tail shaft at the same angle. I then installed the stock crossmember and determined where the mouting flange would have to be welded on.

5. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

Even more information. I measured the angles today I have 4 1/2 degree angle on the output shaft (engine/trans lower in rear) and 0 degree on the pinion. Is this 4 1/2 degree pinion angle relative to the transmission output shaft sufficient? I plan to use a Competition Engineering "Slide a Link" traction bar set up.

6. kirbi69

kirbi69 Veteran Member

have you got it in yet, wow that must be fun to drive, 6 gears in a second gen.. :O

7. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

I have the trans in crossmember finished but it's just a mockup. Next week we start taking the front end back apart and remove the trans to finish the undercarriage and body parts. I used an old block to do the mock up, I don't even have the motor yet. I'm planning on an aggresively mild 383 but it will be a while before she returns to the street. If I knew how to attach a picture I would, it looks good to have all of the body parts installed even if they're different colors. One day I'll launch her again.

8. x-pauliber

x-pauliber Veteran Member

From what I've been reading and what I've been told, you don't want the pinion angle and tranny angle to add up to more than 7 degrees, as this puts too much stress on the u-joints. For most applications you want the angles to be equal and opposite. ex. If your tranny angle is 2 degrees down, then you want the pinion angle 2 degrees up. This will give you the smoothest ride and best wear on your u-joints. For high performance applications, you want both the tranny and pinion angle to be equal and negative but not add up to more than 7 degrees. The reason for this is when you accelerate hard, the pinion trys to climb the ring gear, and changes the pinion angle in the positive direction, so if you have the tranny at -2 and the pinion at -2, if the pinion jumps +3 degrees, the total degree is still only -1. I put my LS1/T-56 in with the tailshaft at -2.5 degrees and plan to shim my rearend to match.

9. Teetoe_Jones

Teetoe_Jones Member

Typically we put our crossmember at a 3 to 3.5 degree down angle. Speaking of crossmembers, we finally made one for the 70-74 guys. It only took us 3 years to find a car to complete the R&D. (Thanks again Jeff @ Classic Chevy 5 Speed!!)

The crossmember was designed to be used with a SBC/BBC/Poncho/LSX engine and the LT1/LS1/Aftermarket styles of T56. You just adjust the bar to line up with the tail case and tighten the brackets. Once the crossmember is set up, the bar can be dropped independently of the frame rail brackets/adjusters for easy drivetrain removal. See T56 crossmember exploded view here:
    http://www.t56kit.com/downloads/files/11.pdf

Check it out in our products section on www.t56kit.com for more details.

Tyler

10. Kyle C

Kyle C Member

I plan to use a Comp Eng Slide-a-link set up which should reduce the amount of static pinion angle required, I plan to start with about a 3.5 pinion angle. As for the crossmember, I just cut the transmission mount off, turned the crossmember around and rewelded the mount on. It lined up with the transmission mount perfectly.