T56 swap... Pedals?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by AK99, Apr 3, 2018.

1. AK99

AK99 Member

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find it anywhere. I have a T56 swap in the works and will be using the Detroit Speed firewall bracket to mount a factory GM clutch master cylinder. My car is a factory auto car. Do I need to get both clutch and brake pedal or can I get away with buying just a clutch pedal? I have no issue with whacking off part of the auto brake pedal to reduce the pad size.

Also, will the factory 4th gen clutch master push rod be long enough or do I need to modify it with a rod end and connecting sleeve?

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The pedal set isn't all that expensive. My 70 was born as an auto but now has a T56. The job isn't too hard.

3. AK99

AK99 Member

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start on it. I have a lot of projects going on and they all get farther along by saving money where it's possible. Every little bit adds up.

I've done the swap on a third gen (super easy) and been around for the swap in a friend's first gen. I was just trying to figure out what parts I need on hand for my second gen.

4. AK99

AK99 Member

Nevermind, I didn't realize the pedals we're only sold together. I remembered them being sold separately. I'll get a pedal set and mock everything up to see if I need to modify the clutch master or not.

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

You need the pedal set, you can get it at classics
    And you’ll need a grim joint to adjust the clutch slave Rod. You can get that from speed tech for like 30-50

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used an American PowerTrain GM hydraulic clutch kit. It came with a Wilwood clutch master, remote reservoir and ss flexible hose with AN fittings, clutch rod with spherical/hiem joints and threaded rod for adjustment, hydraulic T/O bearing with shim pack for adjustment, adjustable plate for the firewall and hardware to bolt it all up.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You can probably find just the clutch pedal used and hack off the side of the brake pedal. Up high where they mount is the same. I recommend a reproduction 70-73 set. That's what I got and works great.

8. AK99

AK99 Member

Curious, why the'70-'73 pedal set?

If the clutch master rod needs modified, I have a 3/8 rod end I can use to lengthen it, using a threaded coupler. I also have a female threaded rod end if it just needs shortened.
    IMG_20180404_143715223.jpg

I got the pedal bracket out of the car today, so when I actually get some pedals and the Detroit Speed bracket, I can mock it all up on the bench.

9. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

^^ that’s why I said get the one from speed tech it’s adjustable but need to be welded

10. AK99

AK99 Member

The factory clutch master rod can be tapped for fine thread 3/8 with no trouble at all. So if it does need to be adjustable for this application, the rod ends I have should do fine.