Tankless water heater

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by z2880, Nov 4, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Actually, a properly insulated water may provide you with enough hot/warm water for you to have your power restored before running out if you are prudent.

A tankless has zero hot water available from the time you lose power til the time power is restored.

2. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I'm on a well,so when the power goes out,only water is what the pressure tank gives has/gives so its a few toilet flushes until the power comes on. LOL-Later Steve!!

3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have an water heater that works perfectly fine. but part of me wonders about tankless one day. If it isn't broke don't fix it type deal. I have myself, my gf and 2 room mates and we've never had cold water, so our set up is awesome. but if tankless can do same thing but remain more efficient I may consider.

my water heater is like 15 years old too, so I am looking for replacements soon, or just get a newer/fancier more insulated traditional water heater.

4. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

To clarify, a natural gas (with pilot light) thermo coupler type stat, will heat with no elec.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can’t speak with personal authority. But I know several plumbers and they all recommend against tankless water heaters.

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

You could run a tankless gas one off of a pretty small inverter i bet, and of course, the smallest generator would run it as well.

I have found so many different HVAC guys with split opinions about tankless hot water heaters and heat pumps. i know guys that swear by them, and guys that hate them. I am no HVAC guy, but i have both, and really like both, and the heat pump is in a pretty cold climate.