TCI 6x 6 speed auto

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ZEDx2, Dec 5, 2009.

1. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbia, MO, USA
    Jake,

Glad to see you back like the old Jake!!

pdq67

2. 70 splitbumper

70 splitbumper Veteran Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Washington St.
    Is this the same trans used in the Pontiac G8? Or is a aftermarket modified 4 speed? I was under the impression the one in the G8 was a different case and that it would require floor/tunnel mods to fit in our second gens. And that it was a different internal design than the 4L80E.
    I am just looking for clarification, not disputing anything said here.
    Thanks guys.

And as a side note, Jakeshoe I look forward to your advice in these threads and I do appreciate it. I am glad to see you back to giving information here again. I understand the frustration you feel/felt. I live it everyday in my life as well in my trade.:bowtie:

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

G8 = 6L80E

TCI trans is a modified 4L80E.

4. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Patterson, NY
    The TCI trans is NOT the 6L80 or 6L90 that GM is using. It is a modified 4L80.

5. Peter Wollman

Peter Wollman Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alamo, CA
    Anything new with the TCI 6x (4L80e modified for 6 gear ratios), anyone with real world usage in a second gen? I saw that TCI made some upgrades to the box that helps smooth out the shifting and makes it even stronger, but there are very few written reviews and even fewer You Tube videos. The ones I have seen seem to show pretty fast shifting and gear splits. It seems that it works best with a paddle shifter, but TCI just came out with a console shift too.