TH350 Fluid Capacity ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by gutted72, Mar 28, 2010.

1. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    Just got done rebuilding my th350 and need to know how much fluid goes back in it. The book says 20 pints (10 qts stock pan) if the trans is dry but it doesn't say if that is with a new converter or reusing the old one. I am reusing the old one and I don't want to over fill the transmission.

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    I looked at that site and thats why I had to ask the question.
    Lets say new converter = 2 qts
    Stock pan = 4 qts
    Thats 6 qts

My rebuild book says 10 qts. Big difference.

3. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

May 13, 2003
    Kingman, AZ
    You don't account for all the valve body passages, cooler, cooler lines, etc.

Why are you reusing the old convertor?

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    Because it has less than a 1000 miles on it. The only reason I rebuit the trans in the first place was due to a thrust washer that spun in its location and gave the input shaft to much end play which in-turn created a vibration in the transmission.

5. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    That's a pretty small converter.

Put 4 in start for a couple seconds (fills the converter and passages). Another 2 (depending on the converter size or how much oil is left in a used one). 2 more and check the dip stick while running. Add as necessary, usually another 1-2.

I'd want to have 8 quarts on hand.

6. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    I've got 8 qts in it as of now and it seams to be working pretty good. I'm going to let it sit over night and tomorrow I will start it, let it get up to temp and then check the level from there. If I need to add more then I will.

I really just wanted to know if anyone knew how many qts would get me in the ball park.

7. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A TH350 with stock pan and converter will take between 10 and 11 quarts if completely dry. Once you get 8 or 9 quarts in, start checking the dipstick. get it close and then run the shifter through the gears a couple of times. Check again and fill to the proper level, try not to overfill. Good luck.

8. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    warped - Thanks for the info. Thats what I needed to know.