TH350 Rebuild Online: Free DIY Post

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jakeshoe, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    I plan on coninuously updating as time permits. I need to organize this alot, as steps are not in order, etc.
    As I stated initially, I recommend you use a good assembly manual, and this post as a guide. The main thing I'm trying to cover here is modifications that can be made, and the reasoning behind them.
    My experience has been that finding the resources to do a basic rebuild is not a problem, but that it takes many years to pick up on some of the tricks of the trade.
    I'm offering a vast amount of experience here for free. The TH350 has been around for awhile and few of the tricks are really secrets anymore, just compiling them in one area and in an easy to understand fashion is my goal.

2. Transman

Transman Veteran Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Waterloo, Iowa USA
    "What is the easiest and effective way to pull out the stubborn low/reverse piston ?"

One other method I've used in a rush at the racetrack to do a trans if there's no access to air is to get a pair of needlenose Visegrip pliers. This will allow you to (gently!!) work the piston up and out. This also works very well on the reverse piston in a Glide if you are in a bind and don't have air present to use. Just go back and forth side to side and gently wiggle it up and out. Or, get two pair of them to save a little time!

Nice job on the trans help posts Jake!:)

3. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Transman is correct,
    I have pulled them the same way when I didn't have air. I'm spoiled to air now :)

4. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    Hi, new on here and just wanted to tell you good job on the messages.
    I also would like to learn more on the dual feed for the direct clutches. Can you post where to increase the 2nd and 3rd feed holes in the stock seperator plate? I have a 496 with around 600-700HP with a brake 350 that I built myself but I'm doing another for a 78 chevrolet 4x4... and would like to modify it while I'm in there.

5. chevyz28

chevyz28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jake...do you have a recommended source for transmission tools such as the L-R clutch spring compressor and the table mounted spring compressor like you show above?

Thanks,

Barry

6. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Barry,
    Atec Trans-Tool sell the tools. You can also get them from most tool trucks like Snap-On, Mac, etc.

Really the best place is probably Ebay, to buy a good used one.

The L-R spring compressor is about $30-35 new usually. The table mounted universal compressors are about $150 new.

etoolcart.com sells the Atec line, Atec doesn't sell direct.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  7. chevyz28

chevyz28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks Jake
    I'd never run across etoolcart in my searches before. They have some pretty good stuff that I've never seen other sites. They have the table mounted compressor like you have on sale at $140. I'm sure that has to be well worth it in not having to use c-clamps.

Barry

8. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    Thanks for the info on the transmission dual feed, I'll be using all this info over the weekend.

9. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    could the screetch or howl noise be from the band or sprag/roller clutch???