TH350 Rebuild Online: Free DIY Post

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jakeshoe, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    A screech could be from several areas including the roller clutches, sun shell to case contact, bad thrust washer.
    If it happens on a 1-2 shift it is a bad torrington bearing in the planets.

2. Mikey18

Mikey18 Veteran Member

Dec 31, 2000
    Soldotna, Alaska
    Thanks for the great info Jake. Ive got a 350c to put back together and was wondering about the differences between it and a regular unit. I know its a lockup converter, and i needed a different shift kit (trans go stage 2 installed). Is this tranny any weaker/ different other than that? Do I need to lock up the converter to prevent damage or is it ok to run unlocked all the time? If so, how do I need to wire it? Also curious about the wave plates... GM instructor had us leave them out to fit more clutches (2 int, 5 for, 4 dir and 4 low/rev) a few years ago, I was thinking this might make it shift too harsh and wear prematurely? And last but not least, I recently read in one of those car rags (forget which, i get so many) about drilling a hole in the pump to increase lube to the gears, opinion? Thanks again for the great tech! Mike

3. Mikey18

Mikey18 Veteran Member

Dec 31, 2000
    Soldotna, Alaska
    Forgot about the tools.... Just wanted to share a cheap version I made for the bench press... Made from 2 shelf brackets for the stand, with a straight arm loosely bolted between the 2 up top. Cut a inch long piece of pipe in half and weld a 4-6" leg to the center of each, using a long nail or bolt to attach this to the center of the leverage arm. Maybe this will make sence to some, maybe not...Ill try to post a pic of mine if i can track down someone with a digi cam. :bowtie:

4. Mikey18

Mikey18 Veteran Member

Dec 31, 2000
    Soldotna, Alaska
    TTT?
    any comments jake?

5. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    The lockup version is plenty stout, most of the parts are the same and many are updated to use torrington bearings instead of thrust washers.

You should have 3 intermediate clutches on a V8 model trans, if you don't you need to get a V8 piston or machine yours for 3 clutches.
    ALWAYS leave the cushion plate in the intermediates on a TH350.

You can leave the cushion out of the directs but it may cause harsh reverse engagment. Street applications I leave it in, racing I leave it out. Same on the forward, but the side effect is harsh engagement into forward range, although I haven't noticed it being overly harsh.

I don't drill a hole in the pump, I know the mod, but the gears are surrounded by fluid anyway.

6. seven1camaro

seven1camaro New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    tucson AZ
    I have a couple of question about this Dual Feed Mod to the tranny.
    To do this
    1. Remove seal on direct drum not Piston
    2. Remove second seal from the bottom of the pump
    3. Plug hole that you show in the pictures
    Is this all

But you mention that a shift kit will also have this option to do it with the "transfer plate and gasket to be added under the support plate" and gasket in the valve body, but you prefer to do it internal (I understand why).

I would like to try this, is this good for a DD and what if I don’t know, that the rebuild kit I bought (TCI Master rebuild w/shift kit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TCI-328800&N=700+115&autoview=sku) has this option, or is it, do one or the other, or can both be done with no issues.

Thanks
    joe

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    You should do one or the other.
    If you are using a TCI valve body and seperator plate, and it has the slotted plate that gets sandwiched between the seperator plate and the support plate in front of the valve body, just install all the lip seals and sealing rings as stock, and install the kit according to the instructions.

On a TH350 this method works OK, but you are adding a gasket. The fluid path is big enough and short enough that it is an effective method to dual feed.

However if you are using just the "Trans-Scat" valve body kit that uses the stock VB and changes springs, etc. Internally dual feed, and use the stock sep plate with the holes I show drilled, and omit the slotted plate.

8. jakeshoe

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    This mod works great for a daily driver.

Dual feeding the directs firms up the 2-3 shift without any other mods. There are no negative effects that I have found. I never have understood why GM didn't do it.
    You will love the shift to 3rd gear at throttle with dual fed clutches and a limited or blocked 2-3 accumulator.

9. seven1camaro

seven1camaro New Member

Mar 29, 2007
    tucson AZ
    Thanks for answering my question.

What Other Gasket I'm I adding, the Kit only has to 2VB Gasket A Sep Plate with the slotted plate that come with the shift kit, but there are 3 sets of VB gasket and TCI said to use the one in the package with the plate
    Damn know i'm confused :confused:

Since I have the Trans-Scat shift kit I want to go ahead and install it and save this mod for the next one.

Maybe a friend will need his tranny rebuilt soon ;)

Sorry for the hijack

10. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands