TH350 Torque Converter trouble

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Vortec80, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Vortec80

Vortec80 Camaro project is a go

Hey Guys!

I finally got my car done and posted it today in the Facebook group. It was the green and black Camaro with IROC wheels! If I don't get many views on here I may add this to the Facebook group.

I heard some noise from the converter before I dropped it off at the paint shop. It sounded like a rubbing noise like taking a piece of sand paper and rubbing it on something real fast. It went away or at least I thought.

When I brought the car home yesterday that noise came back but worse. I put it up on the lift and checked my converter to flexplate clearance and it was fine. I thought to rotate the converter by hand and I heard some stuff rattling around inside the converter as I spun it. It was like marbles in a coffee can. I could feel these marble like pieces moving around at the bottom of the converter.

Checked fluid and dropped pan and it looked like normal dust on the magnet with no metal.
    This trans was rebuilt about 30k miles ago and it was behind a stock 305 that came with the car until I dropped in my 425 horse small block which probably grenaded that stock converter. Stupid on my part not to put one in when I had the engine out.

My question is: In everyone's opinion does it sound like I should just be able to put a new converter in, clean out the cooler, change the fluid and filter and be okay?

All gears work fine and shift fine, car just feels weak due to the converter not being able to properly transfer the engines torque to the transmission.

2. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might get lucky but I wouldn't. When a converter comes apart it fills the cooler with metal. I would replace the cooler, not even attempt to clean.
    If the pan is fairly clean you might get away with running the trans, if the pump isn't hurt from all the metal debris.

Flush the cooler lines thoroughly.

GoldenOne7710 and Vortec80 like this.
  3. Vortec80

I have the cooler that is in the stock radiator. I will flush everything extra thoroughly. My fluid didn't have any contamination At all that I could see. I believe one of the turbine fins may have broke off inside but not 100% sure.

4. jakeshoe

All the contamination is probably in the cooler.
    Don't reuse it. You can't adequately flush that out.
    Install an auxiliary cooler and bypass radiator.

Vortec80 likes this.
  5. Vortec80

Would an auxiliary cooler by itself be sufficient without piggy backing off another stock one?

6. jakeshoe

Yes usually plenty adequate.

Vortec80 likes this.
  7. Vortec80

Thanks for the advice, I have the new converter from Jegs. I'll put in a big auxiliary cooler and bypass the stock one and flush the lines really well .I'll do a complete drain while trans is out and fill it full of new fluid and filter once it's back in.

8. Vortec80

Thank you! That is the exact can I have, bought 2 of them. I assume the only way to check the pump is to pull it out? The trans doesn't whine or anything and before I started pulling the trans, all the gears worked fine and it shifted fine just felt a little weak and it stalled higher than normal.

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good advice from Jake.
    Yes, At least flush the lines.
    (The radiator cooler is a gamble to attempt to flush clean.)

It's a simple job with something like this:

upload_2019-10-30_20-46-29.png
    Hope the pump isn't damaged.
    Good Luck!

10. Vortec80

Thank you! I have two cans of that same stuff.
    Does anyone know if I can slide the trans back far enough to change the converter without disconnecting shift linkage and lines? Twisted metal I think I've read a thread before about you doing that but I don't recall the details.

Also, when I flush the trans lines should I flush it from the radiator end of the lines and leave the other ends hooked up to the transmission so the flush fluid goes through the transmission?