The '73 Up North

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by TCinthe6, Dec 18, 2018.

1. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

Been lurking for a few years, but finally getting more active on the forum, and thought I would share my project.

About a year ago, I bought a '73 RS from a fellow forum member sight unseen, and then proceeded to ship it across the country. Tinkered around with it a bit over the winter months, but for the most part, kept it as is.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 9.23.00 AM.jpeg

The car had a solid platform...427 BBC, 4L80 by Jake, Ford 9 inch. But it was setup to go racing, and I find myself on the street 95% of the time. Carb didn't have a choke, so cold starting it took a bit of finesse...the torque converter had something like a 3600 stall...manual brakes. Car ran like a champ, but just not ideal for city driving.

So then I started getting ideas. I landed on an LS swap first. The thought of modern fuel injection, and an all aluminum block were the main attractants.

Ordered a new LS376/480 from my local GM dealer. Good for 495hp, I figured that was a good starting point for now. Boost can come later! As it stands right now, the block is still sitting in the cardboard box it came in!

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 12.11.38 PM.jpeg

Chatting back and forth with Keith at Custom Works Performance, he convinced me that if I was doing an LS swap, that I should probably do the suspension. So ordered his 2G kit, which in my opinion, delivers some of the best bang for your buck. Upgraded the lower control arms and a few other bits while I was at it. Haven't got around to installing anything yet, but did manage to yank the accessories, motor and trans.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 9.24.15 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 9.24.16 AM.jpeg

The exterior paint could use a refresh, but that's a 2020 project. And seeing that I have no interest in yanking the motor and front clip off again in a years time, I thought a quick shot of black on the subframe and firewall would freshen things up. Once I get all of Keith's suspension parts in, it should pop nicely against the fresh black paint.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 9.24.46 AM.jpeg

The plan was to re-use the 4L80 with the LS3. But, as things go, I got carried away and ordered a new Tremec T56 Magnum.

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-18 at 12.33.52 PM.jpeg

More pics to follow as the build unfolds. Thanks to everyone who's provided input and guidance. The little details are sometimes the hardest to figure out on your own, but having this site as a resource has likely saved me a boat load of time and money.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Looks good. Keep posting as you go.

3. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

You might need new wheels to go with that fancy suspension. And then better brakes to match the grip from the tires.

What we have here folks is what I call scope creep !!

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

Wheels and brakes will likely be last after I get the driveline sorted out. Call it laziness, but I just haven’t had the time to measure offsets and then shop wheel and rubber options.

As for brakes... car is setup with manual brakes right now. Awesome feel and feedback, but you damn near need to stand on them to get the car to come down from speed in a hurry. I’ll throw on a booster first, and eventually get discs all around.

Things would be a lot easier if I just won the lottery! I like nice stuff, but it’s hard to break thrifty habits.

5. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

Keith's 2G suspension kit up front, almost done installing. SPC adjustable upper control arms, tubular lower control arms, new springs, beefy front sway bar. Just need to drop in the Koni shocks, and I can get moving on to the rear.

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-12 at 11.52.32 PM.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    simso likes this.
  6. simso

simso Veteran Member

Nailed it, joys of these old cars, one thing leads into another and then another and before you know it, there is a shell just sitting there :)

7. TCinthe6

TCinthe6 Veteran Member

Yup! No denying that!

I had a few guys ask me yesterday what I was going to do for exhaust. When I told them that I was going to put back the old system and piece it together from the stock LS3 manifolds, they kind of looked at me funny and eluded to that fact that I was being thrifty. Anyway...to make a long story short, I was thinking about it last night, and figured I might as well just put this on from Hooker. There was a "winter sale" on from a local online retailer...so getting this thing at $14 bucks above dealer cost with free shipping to my door.

I'll give the Speed Engineering long tubes a try. For $300 bucks and positive reviews, I don't think I can go wrong. The one thing I might so is close up that O2 bung, and relocate it so I don't have to smash my floor pants to make it fit.

70501385-rhkr_70501386-rhkr.jpg speed_engineering_25-1025-1_1.jpg

8. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice work. Think you will be very happy with it.

9. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

I've got the Scope...it's the Creep that won't leave me alone! Same story, working from the ground up until it's done.

Z REX likes this.
  10. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Going with the same, not sure why the O2 bung is clocked in that position, just need to clock them inboard a little more.
    Having said that, if you use stock height subframe mounts you may not have to move the bung, just a guess on my part.

Z REX likes this.