The loudest siren ever made... literally hemi powered

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Lowend, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

not much muffling the sound of the engine, but i doubt that even matters. When i was with the local fire co, there was a siren on the roof. if you happen to be up there and heard the contacts for the thing click, you ran like hell.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1952...remotely started by a dedicated phone line????

1952!!!!

think about that for a minute....

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Wouldn’t it sunk to be the bird that build a nest in that thing?

roadrace2 likes this.
  5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I remember when they were taken out of service here many years ago. I didn't even know they were there until I saw them on the news taking it down. I'd love to have gotten my hands on one, or at least the engine. It had an answering machine that was on or off. Calling it turned it on and that set the siren off. The county was putting storm sirens in and it was suggested they would work for that but were too loud.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I seem to remember seeing a video about one of these I think with "big daddy" Don Garlits.

Yep here it is.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

A friend of mine got a crated "spare" engine for one of those at a small town DPW auction just a few years ago cheap..The crank or bell attachment area was different I remember and couldn't be used in a typical hot rod application,at least that's what he told me as he thought he was going to make a fortune on it.I seem to remember it was complete with carb ready to bolt in and was governor driven,maybe that's where it all went sideways.Amazing the stuff that is still squirreled away yet in small town government.Same friend just got 3 brand new 1956 international pick-up tailgates at auction,DPW took them off day trucks came in,been stacked up in storage area since. Later Steve!!

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

If I remember correctly the engines were early 331 Hemi's for Chryslers. They had an extended block at the rear for the M6 transmissions and were perfect for industrial applications. Chrysler changed the car blacks around '53 or '54 but the originals were used in forklifts and stationary uses.