Those of you with solar...?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76z28, May 6, 2019.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Was it worth it?

My fiance and I are planning on buying a house within the next year and are considering the option of going solar. We are in Southern CA(Bakersfield) and are curious if it is truly worth the investment?

I have a colleague that said they have to pay a power adjustment of roughly 4,000 dollars twice a year, which seems excessive and counterproductive. The goal would be to save on energy costs. We will essentially have NG powered appliances(stove, dryer, and water heater).

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

very good question...i too would be interested in the REAL WORLD payback of solar......i'm on the OTHER side of the world though....Georgia...lol

3. goofnrox

goofnrox Veteran Member

Why would they pay $8k a year adjustment? That's more than 6 years worth of electricity for me!

jeff swisher likes this.
  4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I just finished building a home in north Georgia Mountains . We considered solar and I spent many hours getting quotes comparing systems etc.
    To have " real " electrical with solar only, it costs way too much. To get a little payback...it was still too much. The batteries were the great expense. For us it wasn't worth it. I can't run my welder with solar LOL...

5. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In my are of Texas ( Dallas ), I researched pretty thoroughly and opted to not install one. - I would love to go solar, but at this point, electricity is pretty cheap and even though the cost of a solar installation around here is somewhat in the middle cost range, assuming a moderate increase in electricity costs over the next 20 years the overall payback period was 23 years for an 8 kW ground mount system. If you are putting it on your roof, you will need to ensure the roof can handle the additional weight of the panels and their racking, and if your roof is older, you may need to replace it as well so you don't have an older roof under your new solar panels. Also, electrical breaker box needs to have the capacity, so that may need to be upgraded as well.

I don't know what residential electricity costs are in California, and perhaps panels are cheaper out there, so it may be more beneficial, but if I would have come up with a 10-15 year payback, I'd have one.

Supposedly now should be a good time as the costs of Solar Panels are expected to be increasing in the near term since some areas are mandating new neighborhoods install them, which may be a bit more economical as it's coming with the house, everything has been spec'd for it and your financing the system over the (typical) 30 year term of the note.

For your application, you will most likely need to do a bunch of research and come up with your own conclusion. I would start the ball rolling with some solar installation companies, but keep in mind that they are sales companies, and they will tell you everything you want to hear, and not too much of what you don't.

--

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went through the research a few years back here in CT, five different solar companies. Break even point for me was about 9years....warranty on panels, was at 15 years, other things were warrantied for 10 only. Parts were all China made. Re-roofing was a grand extra to remove, and replace panels and framing after re-roofing. Also had to double up on my rafters, and the panel output will degrade over time.

All said and done...We purchased new LED bulbs for the house, and added insulation to our attic. That cost was about $350 total. Got that money back within 6 months, and have been using less power ever since.

If you decide to lease, which looks great up front, no money down, save now, etc....read the fine print. They have it written where if you sell your home, you must advocate for them to the buyers, and the buyers must be approved by them before you can sell. If not, you buy out the remainder of the lease, just to sell your home. It's buried in their 14 page disclosure...Buyer beware.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Good advice from Coadster32, do not go for a lease.

8. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Interesting.
    I will definitely continue to research.
    I will update bulbs with LEDs and re-insulate where possible. My goal is to make it energy efficient so we can spend our money elsewhere(vacations, retirement, cars...etc)
    I have a feeling it might not pay for itself--heck with natural insulation(shade from trees) we wouldn't be able to use solar as well which is a consideration. Shade on the house might be more beneficial than solar would provide for cooling purposes.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I passed on a house because of this. Everything was competitive to the market until you tacked on the $168 a month more for their solar lease.

10. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Unplug everything when you do not use it ..Like the TV and all the stuff hooked to it.
    Cousin did that in Dallas as she got tired of 400 dollar electric bills.
    Big house with a huge pool.
    TV and dvd and all that stuff in all the rooms..3 kids. Teen girls.
    It saved her $200 a month unplugging everything not in use and making sure all lights were off when not in use.

You can really pinch the bill tight if you try.
    I have low E windows in all my rooms and minimum of 18" of insulation in attic some places it is 24".

If you have asphalt shingles and trees shading the roof you could be in for a surprise as those need sun and heat to stay set.
    All shaded they will peel up or curl up.
    At least here they do.

budro6968 likes this.