Those of you with solar...?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76z28, May 6, 2019.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yes it is a really nice town.

And yes it is Dawg country !

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I went around and unpluged all the little power supplies that were not being used often. Actually everything including TV's that sit all week and don't get turned on till the weekend. I knocked off around $50 average a month.

jeff swisher likes this.
  3. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

It is amazing what kind of power they suck up at idle.
    I have an amp meter and let my son use it and he found the microwave he had used the same at idle as it did running!
    My last electric bill was 43.84 and 61.56 the month before.
    Lot of LED lights and I use my welder some times. Low E windows lots of insulation and I try not to use the heat and air unless i get hot and sticky.
    For heat I use wood mostly or just keep a jacket on.
    I am a tight wad on some things.

budro6968 likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I forgot to mention contact your local power co. Mine is a COOP. They will finance if certain criteria are met. They even offer the Generlink auto switch if you want to run a Generator. All for a price but i think they give a good deal.

5. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I put panels up about 4 years ago I believe it's an 8 or 10kw (would have to go look at the system) on my roof which was only about 5 years old. My electric bill never hits more than $200 in the summer and that's with inefficient window ac's running pretty much non stop. (4 kids and all their electronics) At the time I had to the option to lease or buy, I chose to buy, got a really low interest rate loan via a state program (it's like 1.5%) and I receive a check every month for $130 for 10 years (6 to go) plus what ever excess I sell back to the grid. my total cost was around 28K but between the incentives and tax credits I paid about 16K out of pocket and the monthly 130 pays the loan which is almost gone at this point. As others have said.. do not lease its too much hassle to deal with if you want to sell. I own my panels and the new owners would have the choice to use them or not.

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Was wondering, If you have stuff plugged into surge protectors, and you switch the surge protectors off, is that the same as unplugging everything going to the surge protectors, or do you have to unplug the surge protector? There's a lot in my house that's plugged into them.

7. goofnrox

goofnrox Veteran Member

Turning the switch off is just as good as unplugging.

xten likes this.
  8. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, we tried to sell and the people had to qualify for the "solar"
    I do not recommend. The way the energy companies are.....solar is not worth it. AND the technology will improve in the next few years anyway.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Have noticed our cable box/dvr is always warm, even turned off, turn it on and it's ready to go right now. Unplug it and wait 5 or 10 minutes for all the channels to come up. Seems like about every thing draws current when turned off these days. And I don't like LED lights in general. Blind me when I look at them, throw a dark shadow, not a lot of diffusion, need lots of bulbs for good illumination. LED trouble lights in the garage really suck.

10. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you haven't tried them in awhile, LED lights have come a long way. Used to they had a very blue-ish tint to them and although they were bright to look at, the older ones didn't put too many lumens on the ground. - You may want to check out some of the newer ones and you might be surprised, and some are even switchable so you can choose a more likable color. I just bought one for my hallway that you can switch between a slight blue, slight yellow or bright white tint. - I replaced 12 old style Fluorescent double tube F32's with 36w LED shop lights, half the wattage, and now I only turn 6 of them on and I get the same brightness in the shop, so basically I'm using 1/4 of the energy. Ditto in my living room. I had 17 - 100 watt incandescent valance lights, switched them all over to 8 watt LED. Talk about savings, those are the main lights and are basically on all daylong, I went from 1,700 watts per hour all the way down to only 136 watts per hour.

--