Thoughts on a TKO in a 70 RS 396

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ZoSoIV, Oct 25, 2018.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good point, in looking at everything even if you don't use 6th, it may be a better option in some cases.

2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

5th is basically the same as a Richmond 5th and then you have one extra gear if you find a place to drive extended over 70.

The biggest thing for me is good shifting and especially at 6500rpm+

I’m planning on using one with a 3.70 rear gear which nets 2300rpm at 75 with my tires. So I will use 6th for sure.

3. Peter Wollman

Peter Wollman Member

OK, well I spoke to John Brown at Richmond Gear and he said that it is asking a lot to shift their 5 speed at anything over 6K rpm. This is very disappointing and frustrating as they have no plans to make any upgrades to the Super Street to address this issue. However, I have heard rumors that Tremec is planning on coming out next year with a new 5 speed on the TKO platform (size and form), but it will not have the shifting issues that the old top loader has. What a pain, I guess I will just stay with the good old Muncie, for now, and put a McLeod RST Street twin disc clutch in my car, so I will have an easy to push in pedal. At least that will get rid of half my problems. Otherwise, I could give up altogether, and go with the L480E / L460E automatic crowd.

4. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

uhm - there is a solution available today - T56!

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I will admit to the "upper" RPM limitations of this trans, perhaps Mr Johnny Brown is stating a very "safe" range with that 6k statement, maybe to cover his a$$, but that is very low. I will stand by my statement/experience at 6,500-6,600 rpm with this particular trans. If your truly going to shift there, or under, you will be OK.

My trans is coming out, takes 1 hour and I have it on the bench, case split and holding the warm main shaft to split it up. Changing to CF synchro's, (if avail./source) and notching the teeth, I can even get the gears EDM'd.

But, if it does not work or last without clashing again at the RPM I need/like, I'll look at the T56 as C4Racer states, as I hate driving and shifting early only to loose 66% of my power band.....

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good points C4Racer, thanks for sharing your insight & experiences on this topic.

Love that part of the AL flywheel, got mine down to 15.7 lbs, wish it was lighter...

7. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Mine is 15lbs. And I was hoping to use it for the T56. But most of the clutches are for a 168 tooth flywheel. This is smaller 153 I think. And it seems thicker than the ones I’ve seen for T56 although not sure that dimension really matters.
    It’s 1.5” thick.

8. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Just to put the info out there
    Rockland Standard Gear and Bowler Performance can build T-56 Magnums with the ZR1 gearing that has less overdrive in 6th and a taller 1st gear. They will handle 1,200 hp and 1,000 lb/ft., 22* helix gears, triple cone synchros, steel shift forks, and billet synchro keys.
    I've used one from each company and the shift like butter. I'm using a 9.5" twin disc clutch with an aluminum flywheel and shift regularly @8,000 rpm.

Gear ratios.
    1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
    2.29 1.60 1.21 1-1 0.85 0.76

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Very interesting - didn't notice that one before! Thanks for pointing that out.

Very interesting option indeed, sure wish it wasn't double the price however!

10. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

It's around $1500 more than a magnum. You basically remove most of the stock gear and shaft sets and replace them with the Corvette Racing components. These parts come directly from Tremic but are only available to select dealers/builders in limited quantities.