Thoughts on a TKO in a 70 RS 396

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ZoSoIV, Oct 25, 2018.

1. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Oct 26, 2018
    $1500 I would consider.

But the price on bowlers web site is $5995 for that trans and the magnum is $3K. So it’s $3K more. Unless I am missing something.

Ratio wise that trans with a 3.89 gear is pretty similar to a magnum close ratio with a 3.50 or 3.70 gear. Main difference is 4th isn’t as tall which is a pretty nice gear. For my engine and tire size that Brings top speed in 4th to 130 with your setup and 140 for the 3.5 gear and 3.7 is 135.

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    The price has gone since I purchased my last one then, I paid $4500 for the last one.

3. OldDog

OldDog New Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Churchville, MD, USA
    IMO I would look into "Gear Vendors" who makes an overdrive that attaches to your current transmission...you basically replace tail section, handles lots of horsepower and cost is a little less (i.e., and in the amount of work) than changing out your trans.

4. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I dont get the need for overdrive. It really limits your cam selection and the ROI is absurdly long. These engines were made to run at 3000 RPM all day long. It doesnt hurt anything.

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    My understanding is that these require some fairly significant modifications to the floor pan to fit in 2nd gens. That's why you don't see more of them.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    x2 ^^ You are right on with that quote.

But, back in the day, with the original bias ply tires and suspension, perhaps 62 mph hwy cruise speed was OK and the norm back then?

Today on the highway, (at least where I live), 62 mph (100 KPH), your a pylon and/or obstacle at that speed and risk causing and accident, or being part of one. not to mention taking forever to get somewhere.

7. Peter Wollman

Peter Wollman Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alamo, CA
    The one transmission that I left out of the discussion is the Mcleod 5 speed, but I have no idea about its high rpm shifting ability. Also, the torque rating spec was dropped to 500FT/LBS by Mcleod so I am not sure about its overall strength. However, it is stronger than the Muncie and I have never broken a Muncie over the years. I don’t do any clutch dumping, so 500FT/LBS should be strong enough. The Mcleod 5 speed gear ratio is not as perfect as the TKO 600 RR or Richmond varieties, but it's a fairly good match with my 3.55 rear end. Does anyone have real world experience with the newer Mcleod 5 speeds, it seems that the first release of them didn’t have great reviews?