Thoughts on replacement headliner. ABS of fix old board?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 75Motion, Aug 23, 2019.

1. 75Motion

75Motion Veteran Member

It seems flimsy. It will require more than one set of hands to install as it's very flexible.The old one I could use the center overhead light to hold it up and then go around and put the rest in place. Unsure it it will stay up where it should. I haven't taken it out of the plastic yet in case I need to send it back and just buy the correct material to use on my old backer board.

2. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my original board was damaged in the fire, so I went with the older bow style replacement headliner... I am happy with the way it turned out

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The ABS board I got from Classic Industries didnt fit well - it was about 3/4 too short in the back. (This was from 2011, they may have changed things since then.)

I opted to buy a formed headliner board from Stock Interiors, which is probably a few pounds lighter than the CI one.
    [​IMG]

4. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

If you go the ABS route, be sure to research what you're buying and try not to get burned like I did. There are basically 2 types of ABS headliners out there, flat and formed. The flat ones will not fit. I think most of those are off the market now, but it's worth your time to check. The flat one I got looks like CDesperado's picture except it doesn't have any of the notches and holes on the sides, no visor holes, and is completely flat. I could overcome all of that except for the flatness. The ABS would not bend enough to fit the curves on the sides of the roof. It ended up being a really nice looking piece of junk.

5. 2000SS

2000SS Member

I've done this on a few cars....

Sand all the foam and crap from board. Go to fabric store and buy felt that matches interior color. Glue on with 3M contact adhesive. Remember, spray both sides and let set till tacky before mating.

Not stock look, more modern. Cheap and you'll never have a problem again. No foam to disintegrate and looks really good.

6. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I had the same experience as Twisted Metal. The headliner on my 77 started sagging after about 12 years. Bought correct headliner material and re-glued it to the original cardboard. It looked original and very nice. But it began sagging after about 15 years. It's the foam backing that disintegrates, not the glue. Ended up selling the car with a sagging headliner. Also had a similar experience with an 89 Camaro. This time I bought an ABS headliner from Classic. Was worried when it came rolled up, but it fit fine and has lasted much better than the foam-on-cardboard OEM units. Depends on whether you want to stay original or not.

7. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How long ago did you get this and have you installed it? It is ABS and not a board/Cardboard piece?

8. 75Motion

75Motion Veteran Member

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago. It's the flat ABS. The catalog didn't specify what type of material it was. I will have to check to see if it's the same size as the original as I still have it.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I got a abs one also that is working good

10. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I installed it about a month ago. It is ABS plastic, but slightly thinner than the flat one I bought from Classic Industries. (I bought the CI one back around 2011 or 2012. I bought the new one from Stock Interiors about 2 months ago.)