Throwing belts/ alignment question

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by rocket dawg, Aug 11, 2019.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Watch this video it may give you some ideas. It is a Laser belt alignment tool.

There are a few different kinds out there on the market but they are EXPENSIVE!
    You could probably make your own with an inexpensive line and point laser level.

2. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

I managed to get them lined up with the straight edge, even on the bottom side. Test drive and all seems good and the belts are still tight. After some thinking, I do have the Pontiac bracket on the power steering pump. I never pulled the pulley off the pump to put the Chevy bracket on. The alternator brackets are Chevy for sure, Pontiac puts the alt on the drivers side. Next is putting the A/C back on the car. I have all of those brackets, but not sure if they will clear my taller valve covers. Again, Pontiac put the A/C on the passenger side so I removed it temporarily ( 15 years ago, lol)

3. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

To look at the belts on my Monte Carlo, it looks like things are in a different zip code as far as being lined up. Hold a straight edge, and things are lined up. I no longer try to "eye ball" things.