Thursday storms

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Southern Indiana and western Kentucky got hit pretty hard Thursday. Not as bad as Alabama got hit, but hit pretty good nonetheless. My house came through pretty good but just a few blocks away some large trees ended up on people houses. Between the wind and the water soaked ground, the roots just couldn't hold. I work about 20 miles west. Our foremen are known to keep the line running regardless. They shut it down during the storms. I don't doubt the security cameras made the decision easy.

March 14 2019.jpg

It is rather amazing how many people you can cram into a storm shelter. Especially when they are motivated.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

They predicted the storms hitting here, with possible tornadoes, in west Michigan as well. They went just south of our locale.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

We were on the good side of that storm. The cold snowy side doesn't cause any damage like the warm southern side you guys got.
    The weather monkeys screamed for days here predicting a blizzard that would cause the end of the world. In the end, we got a windy day with 1.6" of snow. I guess it was a blizzard by weather monkey definition, but the world didn't end. I'll never understand why they have to crap their pants every time it snows a little.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Because, if they don't and some crap does happen, then they blame them for not warning everyone!!

5. Gary S

But, they have put out weather warnings out dozens of times every day for the past 2 months, so nobody listens to them anymore. They cry "wolf" all day every day and it means nothing anymore so everybody ignores them. No warnings at all would be better. The intelligent people would know when it is snowing and when it is cold without weather warnings.
    I have a thermometer so I don't need them to tell me when it is cold.

6. ol' grouch

I've got workers and truck drivers scattered over 40+ acres and have to make sure they are safe. I pay a lot of attention to forecasts as just high winds have caused injuries before. Granted, when the storm was approaching a lot of the guys didn't take it seriously. We had to threaten to write them up before they went to shelter.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree, why bother with chancing someone's else's life, unless it is in defense of this GREAT COUNTRY!! I value my workers safety !! And besides it keep our workers comp prices down, and they are already more then 40K a year with not a single claim , HAA HA

8. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Just talked to my Daughter, in Elizabethtown Kentucky, which is almost straight east of ol' Grouch in Evansville Indiana. She said it was windy there but dodged the bad stuff.

9. ol' grouch

I take ABSOLUTELY no chances when it comes to safety. Back in the early 80's I was in the mill and one of the foremen was gung ho about keeping rates up. One of the guys on his line was cleaning asphalt from a running chain to keep it clear and the speed up. The chain caught his glove and in a split second, his arm ended at the wrist and his hand was speeding down the line. He was off work for nearly a year and had a hook the rest of his life. I'm not well received in the mill as I am on the supervisors for any complacency. The district manager used to be a plant manager and he is serious about safety. I have no hesitation to get him involved if necessary. I don't want to see another employee with his or her arm ending at the wrist, or worse. My old foreman retired and my new one shares my thoughts and attitude.

10. Gary S

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019