Tilt Steering Column Cover ??

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by DrPepper, Sep 27, 2017.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

I have a tilt column w/ a broken lower cover. This is a 81 Z28. The cover has 4 tabs which snap into the piece above to hold it in place. Several of the tabs are broken off so the cover will not stay in place.
    I've searched the web and am not able to locate a new piece. Does anyone know where I could buy a new lower cover??

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Bump. Have had lots of viewers, but no responses. This cover must be like 'hens teeth'.
    Question, I placed this question in the Interior Restoration Forum thinking that when I clicked on 'New Posts', it would show up. But it doesn't. What am I doing wrong??

3. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your post will stay in the interior restoration thread. If you get an answer, it moves to the new posts. Sometimes it takes a while. I found your post in the new post forum. I would look on ebay for one. I've seen reproductions on there as well as used ones. If you plan on replacing it you will have to disassemble the steering column to remove the old one. There is a picture of how it's broken down. I've done it several times, not difficult, you need a few special tools to remove the lock ring on the shaft, a small puller to remove the hinge pins and "star" sockets.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

Thanks for clarifying the posting process.