timing issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by cutty, May 14, 2017.

1. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

hey guys and gals, went to time my small block and something just dont seem right, heres what i had at first, timing at tab was at 16, today decide i wanted to see what my total timing was at 2800 rpm( lighter springs) i have roughly 26 if that total,when i set my light to 36 and time it to a total of 36, and then check at the tab im like a solid half a tab away, the dist i have is a hei flame thrower, is there a way to add more mechanical advance

p.s yes i have the right timing tab on it lol

2. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

make sure you know where you're TDC is at. make sure you're timing the motor without vacuum advance hooked up. make sure you run it to around 3500 rpms to check total (that's cool if you want all in at 2800 but go beyond that to make sure it does not climb if that's where you want it at). There's two ways to add more mechanical depending on your distributor. If you've got something like a pro billet, you can play around with the bushings, otherwise you've got to mess with the weights or dog ears as i call them. Your springs have nothing to do with mechanical timing, they just dictate how fast you reach all in. An SBC will like anywhere from 34-36 all in. What RPM it hits all in at depends on you and your preferred application. I did not quite understand your question, are you saying you had concerns with your base time after setting it to 36 all in?

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

I agree with Rdobbs1977. Only thing I would add is to use your original weights with the kit springs. The weights in the kit are too light and will frustrate the poo out of you!:mad: Let us know.

4. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

was only getting 10 degrees of mechanical advance, which put my initial timing roughly around 26 degrees, gonna try new springs and weights and see what happens, just couldnt figure out at first why, but gonna try that and see if that helps it

5. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

You'll get more advance from the stock weights. They are heavier. If that is too much, go to a stiffer spring or one stock weight and one new weight. You have to keep trying spring and weight combos until you find the Goldilocks Combo.

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

If you can stay with the stock weights. I had the same problem and had nothing but problems with aftermarket weights that were already in my dist. Ended up replacing the distributor.