Timing question for timing gurus.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by RMTZ28, Oct 11, 2019.

1. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Member

OK this question pertains to my Gto. I know I know, been on that forum but want to compare advice. So after rebuilding my engine I set it to tdc dropped in the dizzy set my wires and it fired up the first pull and seems to run pretty decent. BUT when I set the timing light to it, the mark on the balancer is about 2" from tdc.Things I have done. Took off advance hose and plugged it. used piston stop to determine tdc according to balancer mark to timing cover mark (perfect). New balancer. why would it be so far away?

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Using a dial back timing light that isn't set to zero maybe?

3. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Member

Ya double checked that. I installed a slightly larger cam than stock. I am old school so I did not degree the cam. Runs pretty well. other than the timing mark not being no where near the marker.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

So the balancer and timing mark lined up statically with #1 piston (drivers sided front) at TDC? The obvious answer if everything is set up right is that your distributor is turned to provide initial spark advance. You said it started up and ran fine, so I wouldn't expect the balancer and timing tab to line up at 0 when it is running. I doubt any of our engines would run well or at all with 0 degrees initial advance. Is your balancer marked to tell you how many degrees of advance the "2 inches away" amounts to?