tip of the day for kick panel removal....

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Mathes79Z, Sep 12, 2001.

1. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

i am thinking about making a hood to go over the top of the section of the kick panel that goes into the cowl cavity ,attach to cowl so when kick panel is installed it will divert water from it. sounds like alot of work but all 3 of the 2nd gens i had leaked one was only 6 years old when i got it(71)

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Uhhg. The passenger kick is off now too. That nasty screw up top. I didn’t want to tear the heater core out. I went to Lowe’s and bought a set of craftsman screwdrivers that are bent about a 1/2” at the tip. Worked great to get that highest screw out. Might have worked on the driver kick so that I didn’t have to take the whole parking brake off.

Good luck.

3. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Here is that screw driver.

Attached Files:

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

B1DD2AF1-E1BD-4A75-8038-2DCE4A50B523.jpeg Finally, I can say this job is done! This post made it possible...thank you to the poster. A pic of the kick with speaker install.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

My friend bought me one of these for Christmas over 10 years ago. We use the hell out of it. Great for getting screws and bolts out of tight spots. Handle comes off and can be used with a cordless drill. Don't know what we ever did without it.
    https://spectools.com/shop/skewdriver-model-sp-1001/

dave@ztech and JD Z like this.
  6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

I had no problem removing the drivers side, but the passengers side wont clear the heater box. Theres a vent that protrudes into the cavity and the panel wont come out far enough to clear due to it hits the heater box. I didn't really want to pull the heater box just yet. Got other more important things on my list. But may have to anyway.

I pulled the interior out to work on floor pans and install roll cage.
    Right now the passengers kick panel its just hanging loose in the hole and I've been working around it. But it would be nice to have it out so I can clean it up back there and reseal it when it goes back together. I thought I would pull the heater box out this next winter. I was hoping I could do the floor pans and roll cage and be able to get it back together for the Woodward dream cruise.
    I may just delete the heater box completely for the time being. Then eventually go with the "vintage" air systems. Free up all that space in my engine compartment.

Funny how one thing always leads to another, and there are no "easy" jobs when it comes to fixing old cars :)

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Gaspoholic, I was able to get it out by twisting and flexing the kick after all bolts were remove. I did not have to touch the heater box. Thought I might have too, but it can be done.

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

Well I suppose I will keep trying. Its one of those things though, you know, I'm sort of cursed this way. I have the luck that when I try to force things they brake. Happens to me all the time. Specially with plastic stuff.

9. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Maybe pull the carpet out of the way. I didn’t feel I was close to breaking it, but I’m with you and cursed the same. Best!