Tire Crib's...For that lift you need...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. evilbeef54

evilbeef54 Veteran Member

im not so sure about the idea of rolling it around as the are all seperate, it seems like a rock of seam in the cement or something catching one of the wheels on one corner after you have momentum going... could spell disaster... not sure maybe not but i dont want to test it with my projects, i LOVE the idea of the stands though, i will probably be doing some soon when i start on the body work on the truck

2. jerhofer

jerhofer Veteran Member

I retired after 38 years in the manufactured housing industry. We built identical stands such as these to support the homes at trade shows. We placed them under the steel frame rails about eight feet apart. We just built them a little higher than yours so that we did not have to remove the running gear under the homes for the show. We built them out of scrap lumber.

Worked great on level concrete surfaces. I hadn't thought about using them on a car. Great idea.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  3. WheelerCamaro

WheelerCamaro New Member

Instead of buying...

I am going to build a set of these based on the directions I found here. Thank you to all who have submitted info.

I also wanted to share an idea that I had... Instead of buying new 2x4's and cutting them up, I found a local truss manufacturer and the let me take all the scrap 2x4's I wanted for free. A lot of what I got is well over 16" long.

4. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

I built a set of these last winter for the TKO swap. Only difference was that I used a dallop of liquid nails between each board along with the deck screws. Solid as a rock!

5. DAWG

DAWG Veteran Member

nice but I have no need for that
    [​IMG]

6. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

^^^^But you do have a need for a maid!

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did the same on mine, was able to remove my grenaded TH400 while up on the cribs and reinstall the new trans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The cheap HF ones will get the car pretty high off the ground.
    [​IMG]

I do like the cribs and built a set of those too. I mean, what happens if I have the Camaro in the air and need to use the jackstands on the truck, right?

Is 8 layers some kind of standard? Mine have 9. I guess I do not know when to quit stacking the 2X4s. I also glued the wood together in addition to the screws as a safety paranoia thing. The biggest thing I could think of safety wise is to make sure the tire you have resting on it sits down in the hole enough to "chock" the wheel fairly well. My tire touches the second 2X4 down. 12" and 16" must be the perfect standard because, I put the 2X4s on the ground in front of and behind the tire and used a measurement that moved them together a bit. Mine came out 12" X 16" too. Drop the tires to 15-20psi and the car won't go anywhere while you work on it.

I'm glad this got a writeup. These things can be used for just about anything and are tough. Like building blocks for big kids. I feel like an idiot though for not just going to a construction site in framing stage and raiding the dumpster. I paid for the wood. Not a sound DIY move on my part.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  9. twood

twood Veteran Member

Heres mine
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Love em

10. DAWG

DAWG Veteran Member

hell no Its a working shop, cleanup is at end of day!LOL