Tire Crib's...For that lift you need...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks.

2. millpondmonster

millpondmonster Veteran Member

far enough out it takes 3 days to get a text messa
    another one that works very well is.....
    If you have some old wheels that you don't need, lay one on the ground face up, then stand another on edge, centered on top of the first one and weld them together. now you have a tall, very sturdy stand. repeat as necessary until you have all you need. they will work under the rear axle, lower control arms, frame rails, crossmembers or any part of the car solid enough to support the weight of your car or truck.

3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Like this?
    [​IMG]

4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

You hardly ever see an old fashioned grease pit any more, either... Except at places like Jiffy Lube, etc...

5. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Guy just got crushed in the Houston area working under a car. I prefer the grease pits, helluva lot safer!!!!!

I trust I Beams more so than even floor jacks.

guess I'm paranoid...

6. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Not necessarily a bad thing...

Paranoid = Survivor

7. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

These things rock!! Thanks for the idea!

[​IMG]

8. tlongwel

tlongwel Veteran Member

Oh, and BTW for future reference, I made the rear cribs a little longer to accommodate my big tires. They were 20" instead of 16".

I also used pressure treated bottoms so they can withstand a damp floor.

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Since my back gives me some problems I found working in the engine compartment was really aggravating it since I have to lean over and down a bit. I had my short cribs under the rear since I was also working under the car in the back at the same time, I just needed a little more height in the front but didn't want ramp height. I had some 4 x 4 from a deck project left over, only had enough for four 13" long pieces but that was perfect. I laid them side by side then cut a 2 x 4 to go across the ends to hold them together, when screwing them to the end I didn't think at the time to leave them a tad high so they form a curb to keep the car from rolling off (if I use them without rear cribs and have the parking brake off and out of gear). That little bit of height in the front helped take the pressure off my back. I'll either raise the 2 x 4's later on or just tack a piece of 3/4 wood to the top of the 2 x 4 to form that curb. I really like the short 2 x 4 cribs I made, give me enough room to slide under and don't have to reach much to do things. Thinking of making a second set of short cribs to go on top of the ones I have for times I want a little more height like pulling a trans. I'll probably drill a 1/2 inch hole in opposing corners of the top of my old crib then a matching hole in the bottom of second set, I have some 1/2" steel rod I can cut and make pins to go in the holes and keep the cribs aligned.