TKO Neutral Safety Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by legierk, Oct 18, 2015.

1. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Can anyone vouch for this drawing I found on the net? I am not a relay guy, but I know you have to run a relay with this neutral safety switch.
    [​IMG]

2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Why not sticking with the vehicle's OEM set-up? That looks pretty complicated for a switch on the shifter. Can I suggest you utilize the pedal neutral safety switch?

If I remember correctly, the TKOs neutral switch is a 2 wire open and closed connection. The wires are pretty small (18 ga?) and running that in series with the 12 gauge ignition switch wires may not be a good idea. If anything, possibly run the switch in the transmission as the ground ?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

That'll work.

The switch will only see the current needed to close the relay (~160mA) regardless of the size of the wires going to it so this isn't a concern. That's the reason for the relay.

4. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies. OK. I will go with this diagram. I hate wiring. And I don't "need" the switch, but I figure it has the capability, and how hard can it be to run a few wires?

5. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

I found this one and made some additions to it to match the one above. Does this look good? Should all my wire be 12ga? Would you mount the relay under the dash where most of the connections are?

[​IMG]

6. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stick with the pedal switch, you don't push the pedal down it won't start, what could be easier?

7. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Fair enough, but should I run that switch through the relay, or just not worry about it? What about the fuse?

8. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

I wanted to add that having two NSS's is, IMO, a kind of "anti-theft" device. Plus, it adds a certain amount of personalization. IDK. May run without the TKO NSS for now and then hook it up later if I get the urge.

9. buildinmy73

buildinmy73 Veteran Member

Can someone post a diagram on how to hook up the pedal switch?
    I have a new universal painless harness and a tko. I'm thinking of forgoing the NSS on the TKO but may utilize the clutch pedal switch

10. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

My pedal switch (factory) has two male connectors on it right at the clutch pedal itself. The large purple and purple with white stripe wires are on one female connector that plugs right into the switch on the clutch pedal. Sounds like your original wiring is gone. If your original switch is gone, it mounts similarly to the brake light switch at the pedal.