TKO question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by doublec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

I currently have an auto in my 72 with the factory console. If I put a TKO 500 or 600 in the car will I still be able to use my console?

2. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Yes, with some modification to the shifter plate hole. You will have to do some creative cutting.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

3. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

thanks...do you like your TKO?

4. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have a console, but I LOVE my TKO600. One of the best upgrades I did to the car.

5. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

yep, I'll second the "best upgrade ever". I did the 500, but probably should have done the 600, due to first gear. Even with a 3.08 rear end ratio, first gear will pull a stump. I can easily just skip 1st for normal driving. But if you want to hit it, it'll get you going real quick.

6. Kricka

Kricka Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, no problem.

7. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

I'm not sure how it works with an automatic console, but with a 4 speed console, you'll probably have to include a Hurst Blackjack offset shifter as well.

The standard TKO trans has the shifter located in top center of the transmission. Your standard Muncie or BW trans has the shifter mounted to the side of the trans therefore offsetting it in the trans tunnel slightly. When I swapped out my Muncie for a TKO, I wanted to keep using my factory 4 speed console so I ordered the Hurst Blackjack offset shifter. It basically relocates where the shifter sticks through the floor/console. Mine now looks and fits perfect with my factory console.

Here's my TKO before install with the Hurst shifter. If you look closely enough at the shifter you can see the offset to where the stick mounts. This basically offsets where the stick comes out of the floor to make it fit perfectly in your console.

[​IMG]

Here's the finished product in my car. Unless you look closely at the shift pattern on my shifter ball, you'd never know that my car has a 5 speed trans.

[​IMG]

8. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Looks great in there Greg. On the fence on what to do. Leave my 700r4 or take the plunge :)

9. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Subscribed. I'm looking into this or the Tremec for myself, but was not wanting to cut my trans tunnel or have to replace my console. Mine is a factory manual with a 4 speed Muncie from a 69 Olds.

10. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Looking at your pic...I hear a lot of people say the 73 consoles are ugly compared to the 70-72 console...I like em:)