To cut the dash or not to cut the dash. That IS the question.

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by slayer021175666, Oct 7, 2016.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How are you guys (who cut your dash) mounting the radio from behind?

2. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have done this a couple times. Something to think about. If you are going to cut it try to find a "seatbelt" panel. Easier to find that a early one. You could probably sell a non-cut non"seat belt" panel. Anyways to do this cut it out with dremel or similar. Cuts easy. Make sure your exactly centered so a knob cut out does not show on a side. When done cut out the radio will come with a metal bracket usually. Slide that in the slot you just cut and bend out the tabs to lock it in. them put in the radio and there is usually a nut on the back of radio for plumbers tape to brace back of radio.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used a think piece of aluminum and fiberglassed it on the rear then on the front I used bondo to smooth it out to the orig backing to get my cd player frame to slide in and lock before sliding the unit in place.

4. COPO

My player slides in from the front into a metal sleeve (C) and locks in. I built my opening to fit the sleeve with metal, fiberglass and bondo to the exact size.
    [​IMG]

5. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

I just cut mine out and installed the stereo sleeve. My dash actually has a thin aluminum sheet that you have to get through and the plastic was pretty sturdy. No backing needed. To get it centered right, use the square hole that is already there as a guide. You want to make your cuts flush with the top of the original hole and then cut away whatever is needed on the bottom. Looks great now!

6. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Neat idea adding the extra part to fit the stereo under the dash and angled. Did you have to cut away some of the console below it though?

Tom

7. Aussie78Z28

Aussie78Z28 Member

Stereo? Oh yeah, that thing in the dash ;)- never turned it on - too much love for the V8 soundtrack out the window lol:crazy:

8. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

You can always buy that section of the dash and keep it on hand if you ever want to go back to original style mounting. They are regularly on ebay and available brand new. If you consider that route, I wouldn't wait 10 years to buy the replacement, no guarantees it will be as easy to acquire then as it is now.

9. COPO

I bought the lower dash with virgin holes about 12 yrs ago on eBay.