To much tattoo? *NSFW*

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by sal70ss, Apr 29, 2016.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I never really got why people wanted tattoos, but to each their own, they don't bother me one way or another. Although yeah, one has to wonder about what they're thinking when they get them all up and down their arms and legs, around their neck, down their back. But if it makes them happy, I guess I don't really see the danger.

There was an article in Reason just this past month, about the New York tattoo ban. I had no idea it was illegal in NYC from 1961 to 1997,

http://reason.com/archives/2014/03/08/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-new-york-city-t

"The story of New York City’s tattoo ban presents the classic case of government regulators using a bogus public health pretext to hound an unpopular activity out of existence. Pointing to a non-existent link between tattooing and a minor outbreak of Hepatitis B, city health officials went on the attack, declaring, “the tattoo industry, from a public health point of view...[is] not regulatable.” According to the government, only a total ban would save the citizenry."

"Fred Grossman, a tattooist who worked out of a shop in Coney Island, brought suit, charging the city with an illegitimate exercise of power. But when his case finally reached the courtroom, Grossman hit the brick wall of judicial deference to government regulation."

"According to state appellate Judge Aron Steuer, “what is harmful or injurious is a matter for the Legislature rather than the courts.” Besides, the judge added, “the decoration, so-called, of the human body by tattoo designs is, in our culture, a barbaric survival, often associated with a morbid or abnormal personality.” Tattooists would find no refuge in Steuer’s courtroom."

"Grossman next appealed to the state’s highest court, but he met with an equally dismissive judiciary. “In its wisdom, the board in the case before us decided that the prohibition of lay tattooing was essential for the protection of the public health,” the court ruled in Grossman v. Baumgartner (1966). Because “the police power is exceedingly broad...the courts will not substitute their judgment of a public health problem for that of eminently qualified physicians in the field of public health.”"

"Writing for the Carolene Products majority, Justice Harlan Fiske Stone sided with the lawmakers. When it came to “regulatory legislation affecting ordinary commercial transactions,” Stone held, “the existence of facts supporting the legislative judgment is to be presumed.” In other words, the courts must defer to lawmakers in all disputes between the government and an entrepreneur or business owner challenging an economic regulation on constitutional grounds."

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can understand why some people get tattoos but they have no interest for me.

When I first went away for the summer with the Naval Reserve I wish they had fake tattoos like they do now because my mom told me not to come home with a tattoo or a beard. I had a rocking beard when I got off the bus at the end of the summer and my mom, whom I hadn't seen in four months says to me: "I hope you are shaving that off when you get home!" I kept it until Christmas when my friend's 16yr old girlfriend (We were 18/19) told me she thought I was 35 when she first met me. I promptly drove home and shaved it off then!

I do know that I don't find tattoos on ladies to be attractive at all but then again that is just my preference.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area
    By J.D. Leipold
    The Army has revised its policy on tattoos in an effort to bolster recruitment of highly-qualified individuals
    who might otherwise have been excluded from joining.

Tattoos are now permitted on the hands and back of the neck if they are not “extremist, indecent, sexist or racist.”
    Army Regulation 670-1, which was modified via a message released Jan. 25, also now specifies:
    “Any tattoo or brand anywhere on the head or face is prohibited except for permanent make-up.”

For women, allowable make-up would be permanent eye-liner, eyebrows and makeup applied to fill in lips, officials said.
    They said permanent make-up should be conservative and complement the uniform
    and complexion in both style and color and will not be trendy.

The change was made because Army officials realized the number of potential recruits
    bearing skin art had grown enormously over the years.

About 30 percent of Americans between the ages of 25 and 34 have tattoos,
    according to a Scripps Howard News Service and Ohio University survey.

4. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

LOL you know what it's like going to the beach in NJ? i swear I'm the only person there besides some kids that DON'T have ink.

I was walking around Wildwood last year, EVERYONE's got em. From 20 somethings to 70 somethings... LOL

5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good points of view given here. I had gotten a couple tats over 20years ago. Most people don't know I have them. Short sleeve shirt w/ shorts and you don't see them. Perhaps I'm a little old fashioned, but honestly I think that's the way it should be. Just my $.02

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

A friends kid came home with some tattoos at age 13. We both thought there was a minimum age for tattoos. There is, I think it's 16 without a parents approval. What the kid and his buddies did was buy a tattoo gun off Craigslist. He got three Japanese Kanjiographs (sp?) He THOUGHT they meant "Strength, Vigor and Vitality". He got a rude awakening when one of the staff at the Toyota plant got to giggling. She pointed out that one didn't mean anything and the other two meant "Homosexual" and "Sneakers". Dad did two hitches in the Army Rangers. At 16 he got the kid a cover up tattoo. Nearly 5 hours in the chair. It's a fantastic picture of an Eagle and American flag. When the artist said he could break it into two sessions, dad wasn't having it. If the kid really wanted a tattoo, he was getting a tattoo.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^^That's too funny!!

8. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They've essentially gone from one extreme to the other. The previous iteration of 670-1 (which went into effect right before I got out) said you could only have a total of 4 tatts below the elbow or knee, and none of them larger than the hand with the fingers together.

My view is that it shouldn't show while in full dress uniform. So no hands, neck, face, etc. Everything else should be fair game. With all the drawdowns, the Army has been looking to retain poster boys rather than warriors. Saw it first hand. In 10 years, I only wore my class B uniform once (when I graduated from BCT), so I don't see between the wrist and elbow as an issue considering how rarely we wear anything short sleeved (outside of PT) in the Army.