To rain gutter or not to....

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mrluckies, Dec 29, 2019.

1. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I intentionally left them off the order when I bought my car in '77. I never missed them, and this was for a daily driver in the Puget Sound area. I think the cars look so much sleeker without them. Oh, I got a lap-full of water once in awhile, but I was willing to put up with that. I had a technique for getting in. If there was water on the roof I would run my fingertips back and forth on the top a couple times to trigger most of the water to run off- then open the door. Also I believe the car was quieter at speed without that flow disrupter on the A pillar.

2. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Never thought about the rain runoff falling into the car when opening the door, that’s a good point.

I had a couple third gens and they didn’t have the drip rails from the factory. I agree with a couple of the replies about it looking better without them. Although, I plan to and have used the car a bunch. Not like a daily driver, but definitely more than just to the local cruise night, so I will be out in the rain occasionally.

I’m not sure if mine are original, although I don’t have any reason to think they are not. The previous owner seemed more about taking stuff off, rather than putting stuff on.

The chrome looks decent at a distance, but has scratches when you look close. I’d think they were stainless, however they are magnetic. There’s no flaking like you would get from old chrome though. So if they are stainless, it’s a really low grade. Definitely not aluminum.

3. M Patrick

M Patrick New Member

It is entirely up to you. I feel that rain gutters serve a very functional purpose and the added chrome makes the car look better in my opinion.

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

the TA looks better without

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Wow, you all drive them in the rain? Lol. I’m thinking of not re-installing them on mine

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  6. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mine are part of the RS package on my 70 and will be going back on. Stainless steel by the way.

7. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

8. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

I left them off when I ordered my car too. I live on the West coast and know about rain. I figured that with a/c I wouldn't need them, and the car looked better without them. If you needed a bit more air you can open them a crack without watter intrusion. Glad I left them off.l

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

How effective are these as gutters? There isn’t much of a gutter on my car. Seems more like trim to me.

10. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Offtopic: dig the color of your car!!! Looks a lot like what I'm l aiming at during the next over paint job (GM's kryptonite green).