Touch up paint TIPS

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by JD Z, Jul 26, 2019.

1. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

I have a number of chips and the tip of my front bumper needs some light bondo and a spray over.

I ordered my GM paint color from Paintscratch.com. It comes with a 2oz bottle of paint, 2oz bottle of clear coat. Also spray cans of paint and clear coat. Rubbing compound and adhesion promoter

What do I need to know and think about as I start this project? Color matching/blending? I would like to sand some of the chips a bit to make them smoother before putting the paint on.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Touch up is what it is. The plastic brush is kind of like a nail polish one. I used to take base coat and mix some clear with it. No hardener. Dab it in with my favorite brush. Walk away. Let it set. Go back and reapply till it was as level as I could get with several applications. Don't want to soak it and possibly cause the edges to lift. Solid colors work well. Metallic will sometimes settle out and the darker colors will float to the top. Just have to go light. When you get it to the level you want after it sets up, You could do a little wet sand and buff. But to me it it not worth the effort B/C you could end up tearing it out. If it looks like bird crap you can just wipe it out with some Thinner and a rag. Start again.

JD Z likes this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I touch up by filling the chip higher than the paint beside it using an artist paint brush or a paper match stick cut on an angle. After it dries I use 2 way tape using a binder hole punch and stick it on the end of a pencil eraser then using a paper hole punch again I punch out my sand paper and stick it on the eraser, then wet sand the spot with 400 in tiny circles. If the paint is still low I add more paint then repeat until it's level and change up the paper to 800 then final 2000 then buff it. I don't bother clearing a little chip. If I had a larger area then I'd use my thumb sander rubber block shown below.
    IMG_2348.JPG

budro6968 and JD Z like this.
  4. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

COPO, the clear coat after you sand to level or your last few coats to fill are the clear coat?

Guys, thanks for the help.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In my post I said that I don't bother with a clear coat for a chip that's smaller than the eraser on a pencil.

JD Z likes this.
  6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

7. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

Bkmont, creative. I’m a woodworker so this makes perfect sense. I like the strip sand paper and how he uses it. The razor blade, I can do that. Should help with the job.

8. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

I found out about this tip from the Pontiac guys. Hope it works out for you.