TPI/Fuel tank Question

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by SpeedAddict02, Jan 8, 2006.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am considering buying a used motor/trans setup from a tpi 3rd gen.. Just to bridge the gap between now and when the 406 is done..

I was just thinking over the whole swap, and remembered about the difference in fuel system... I was wondering, to save myself the hassle of getting an in-tank pump and modifying the pickup & sending unit, if a third-gen camaro/firebird fuel tank will fit in a 2nd gen??

I cant see why not.. But just looking for other opinions..

TIA
    Joe

2. SpeedAddict02

eh forget it.. just remember the filler neck is on the side, rather than straight back...oh well

3. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

You can use a 3gen fuel sender unit in a 2gen tank. Neat trick for any 2gen fuel injection conversion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Someone told me that 3rd gen sending unit will only fit in the earlier 2nd gen tanks, not the later (78-81) tanks.

SUPREME LAZINESS- I've had a 3rd gen sending unit in my garage for two years, and have never checked this yet.:D

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

I saw on the chevelles site that Stewart is producing a piston fuel pump that can support efi. Goes in the stock mechanical pump location. www.racepumps.com
    I have an edelbrock efi unit that I'll eventually try out, I'm leaning towards this pump, even though its pricey, just because it looks simpler to install. I talked to a guy that had it on a 383 and he really liked it. Another guy on the site had it supporting a twin turbo with something like nearly 700hp. Didn't see anyone that actually was using it with an efi setup but the race pump website has a forum for questions and it looks promising.

6. SpeedAddict02

7. SpeedAddict02

How much trouble would it be to plug the whole for the filler neck on a 3rd gen tank, then cut another hole for a 2nd gen filler neck in the correct location?? Probably too much.. lol

The stewarts is nice, but I am on a tight budget..

Here is my plan, in case anyone was wondering.. THinking about picking up a complete 88 TPI motor & 700r4 setup off of another member.. It is from an 88 firebird & it is a 305.. Pull the POS 229 & stock auto and drop this setup in so I can cruise and have some fun.. Figure If I install my headers & a full exhaust, a 3.42 posi rearend I having sitting, and a 2000-2400stall converter, it should be a decent cruiser..

If possible, I would like to install my vortecs on the motor, but not sure if I would need a different intake for the TPI setup, or if they are compatible from 87 up.. Dont think so though..

Anyway, Once I have the 406 bottom end done, I would then already have the wiring harness,computer,fuel system setup and tranny setup and serpentine setup that I can swap all over onto the 406.. Only needing to upgrade the intake/plenum and few other parts.. But the majority of it would already be there..

8. MikeM79

MikeM79 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

The two pics show the mods.

The pic with the tank cut open shows a stock 3gen unit. I cut open an extra tank to study the proposition. The mods to the unit are easy....just cut the tubing on the inside short enough to hang a Walbro pump from it. This means you will need a fuel level sender installed elsewhere through the top of the tank. Those run about $40 and are pretty easy to install.

9. SpeedAddict02

thanks mike.. At first i didnt see the difference, bu then i minimized the windows side by side.. thats a big difference in the b4 & aft.. I'll be getting a 3rd gen sending unit as part of the package.. Where did you mount the fuel level sender??

10. SpeedAddict02

Is that a stock replacement for a 3rd gen, or an aftermarket one?? As for the pump, being the motor is a 305 and I'm on a budget, I'll probably try to locate a stocker...