Tracing history

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by gpm6367, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

When I bought my car in 1993,I subscribed to the old cars weekly paper.They had an article with the addresses of every DMV,and a "form" letter 'I own XXXX vin XXXX do you have any records on such vehicle?".I filled out the form,went to kinkos had 48 copies made and about 13 dollars worth of stamps I sent off my letters.I received replies from Florida,Georgia and Illinois,each sent me a bill for like 25 cents per document,which I laughed at,but sent off checks for a couple of dollars each.Detective work via " telephone information" found the original owner,a woman who with her husband ordered it for Christmas 1971,She sent me 3 pictures,the old square ones with the borders around them but needed them back not copies because they were in her photo albums.One is right when new [in front of their trailer house]the others while doing an oil change in 74,By then the valve covers were reversed and puch top Castrol oil was being put in the right side of then engine.I have the pics on a small posterboard I show on the dash-I'll have wifey work on scanning them this weekend and I'll see if I can post them.With the stalker laws,etc that stuff is impossible to do today! Later Steve!!

l16pilot and gpm6367 like this.
  2. gpm6367

gpm6367 Veteran Member Gold Member

I remember those pre-internet and privacy law days! DMV snail mail was the order of the day! Amazing detective work and u need to post those photos!

3. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Speaking of 'scuttlebutt' about experiments, I remember hearing about there supposedly being a handful of Turbo 400 Z28's made for experimenting for the '69 model year. Never went to production and the prototypes were crushed.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

When i got my car in '78 the guy I bought it off of, he was the third owner, gave me a scrap of paper with the prior owners names and the Protecto-plate which has the original owners names on it. At the time I didn't think anything about it.

A couple of years ago I started Googling the names and found the second owner and came up empty, at least locally, on the original owner. The address on the Protecto-plate is now a Rite-Aid parking lot. Looked nationwide and found out the original owner had died about a year before.
    Long story short I did find the son of the original owner and emailed him. He gave me the address of his mother who was married to the original owner. The Camaro was actually a wedding present/graduation present from his father. Anyway, I sent snail mail letters to her and the second owner with a return envelope addressed and stamped to me and in the letter said that if they didn't want to be bothered to just put it in the mailbox and its done. I won't bother them again. I waited a few months and got something from the original owner but nothing from the second owner. I waited a few more months and nothing. I did dig out in the mean-time the phone number of the second owner. I called him. BIG MISTAKE. He said if I ever tried to contact him again I would regret it. I said no problem and hung up. Did a bit more Googling on his name and city and found out his son had recently killed himself as the police were closing in to arrest him for the murder-disappearance of his son's wife. Bad timing. I did a bit later talk to the third owner (the guy I bought the car from ) and told him this story and he knew the second owner. Said he was a pretty bad dude that himself had been to prison for a murder and to best stay away from him.
    You just never know what you are going to run into sometimes.

I did get several original photos from the original owner's wife. One even with the car decorated for the wedding! Really surprised she let that one go.

gpm6367 and l16pilot like this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That story is similar to the story about my Son's '80 Z28. After he got the car we went to the DMV and asked about getting records of the history of the car. They were able to pull up the old microfiche files and get me copies of previous titles to the car. It went through two previous owners and then disappeared into South Dakota to an owner there. I wrote to South Dakota DMV and was able to trace it back into North Dakota again where I got the name of the original owner. My Son looked up the name of the original owner and found an address for him. He lived only about 80 miles from us so my Son wrote him a letter telling him that he now owned the car and sent along a current picture of the car. After a week or so, the original owner wrote back and sent along a picture he took of the car the week he bought it new. (He also regrets that he ever sold the car.)

gpm6367 likes this.
  6. 72'z'steve

I did my best to scan in a set of glossy prints I had done,I idn't want to tear my photo board apart.They zoomed in a bit and cut off the can of oil in the valve cover,but it is Valvoline not Castrol,my bad.Also a pic that it exists today,only digital I have is with wifeys Rally sport.I'm not a big tech guy-Hope they load-Later Steve!!

Attached Files:

gpm6367 and l16pilot like this.
  7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMG_2453.jpg

gpm6367 likes this.
  8. 72'z'steve

Thank You for your expertise Mark! Steve!!

gpm6367 likes this.
  9. gpm6367

Great story! I need pictures!!!!

10. gpm6367

Great pics! Is that the stock yellow available that year? Looks lighter than Daytona Yellow. What is the name of that color?