Tracking down original owner

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by WayneInNZ, Feb 14, 2017.

1. WayneInNZ

WayneInNZ New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Auckland, new Zealand
    Hi there everyone.
    I have a 79 Z28 time capsule, 42,000 original miles.
    I bought the car from a guy here who only did 4,000 miles since he brought it here to NZ.
    He bought it from a widow in Great falls Montan who parked it up for 14 yrs after her husband died in 1991.
    They purchased the car in 1983 with 12,000 miles on it from I think was the original owner.
    When I cleaned out the car I found a Montana vehicle registration reciept and an insurance reciept.
    This is for the second owner,
    Dwight Halvorson ( deceased now )
    3301 5th Ave NW
    Great Falls MT 59404

I have tracked down his widow, Maureen, and spoken to here over the phone, she had some good stories about the car. It was Dwight's pride and joy, only driven on long trips and always garages under a blanket.
    When he passed away she just left it in the garage. Kinda cool.
    The VIN is 1Q87L9L580963
    I cant tell from the paperwork that I have what the licenses plate number was.
    Is there any way to track down the previous owner to Dwight?
    I am trying to put together a history of the car from birth till now.
    If there is someone near Great Falls that could do some detective work for me I would really appreciate it.
    It would be awesome to talk to the original owner and see if they have thier original paperwork or could tell me the dealership they bough it from.
    I am way down in New Zealand so it is virtually impossible to do from here.

Cheers
    Wayne

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Call the DMV in the State you think the orig owner is from and see if they can printout the History of owners with that VIN #. We can do that here in Ont Canada because it's now part of the pkg we have to provide the new owner with when we sell a car privately. I had to do that with my Dad's car.

3. WayneInNZ

WayneInNZ New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Auckland, new Zealand
    Thanks for the info Mark
    I have emailed the Montana DMV, lets see where it goes from there.
    Cheers