Tracking down precious owners of my 1970 Camaro

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by saantomoh, Jul 14, 2018.

1. saantomoh

saantomoh New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    20160630_113426.jpg P1000354.JPG 20160630_113413.jpg P1000338.JPG Hello New Yorkers!
    I just recently learned that my 1970 RS SS 396 Cortez Silver Camaro 124870N532015 was sent from Norwood to William Pape Inc. in Huntington New York. I've learned that the dealership has changed hands and I believe the Pape family is no longer involved. Im trying to find my build sheet or POP if either still exists. I've been thinking of paying the DMV to see if I could find the names of some previous owners. Someone might have saved some paperwork or made some copies. Since you all live in NY I thought maybe one of the past owners might be on here. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Saantomoh

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    FlaJunkie likes this.
  2. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2004
    KY
    Beautiful car, and color combination!!!
    Ps..."precious owners" made me laugh!

3. saantomoh

saantomoh New Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Thanks Tommy! Ooops! Should have been a V!!

4. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    NYS DMV will not give you any information on previous owners. Depending on how long ago the dealership changed hands the new owners may still have some paperwork but that's a long shot.

5. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Honestly, I'd be cautious about tracking previous owners down. I know if someone came knocking on my door that I didn't know I'm not sure I would like it. Be careful!

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    You never know what you are going to encounter with a search like this.

I was fortunate in that I had the POP and a list of names of the previous owners from the guy I bought the car from. The original owner has been very gracious and provided some of the original photos that she and her husband (he is deceased) had of the car, including it decorated up for their wedding! She has also provided some very detailed history of their time with the car.

The second owner not so much. I sent out a snail-mail letter to each of the previous owners (I am the fourth) stating my research intents and that if they don't want to be bothered anymore to just send the included addressed-stamped envelope to me and I will drop it and then I will know that it at least got to the right person. Pretty simple really. The second owner didn't send anything back so I followed up with a phone call (Google Search) and he confirmed that he got the letter and that if I ever contact him again that I would truly regret it. Come to find out that in the prior year his son had committed suicide when the police were closing in on him for the suspected murder of his wife whose body has still not been found. I can kind of understand how he was a bit distracted to say the least.

Good luck with your search. I'm not sure how you can find the names. The government has really locked all this down. I heard there was a case in California some years ago where a guy stalked and killed a girl from her license plate number through the BMV. Since then there were laws passed that prevents VIN searches unless your are with law enforcement or possibly through a licensed PI.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. WANNARUN

WANNARUN Veteran Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Long Island NY
    B9D0F4E1-C08F-4E94-A962-C09C271BC556.png Looks familiar. I live in Huntington NY Yes Pape Chevrolet has changed hands.Build sheets are not often found with Norwood cars. There is a guy online that has some pages with build information for Norwood cars if your vin number matches his paperwork. NCRS will send you a document with your build date and Dealer information if you send them the vin number and a small payment Good luck with information search.

8. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Beautiful car. Why are you looking for the documents?