Tracking down previous owners of my 1970 Camaro

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by saantomoh, Jul 14, 2018.

1. WANNARUN

WANNARUN Veteran Member

44A5689B-8FD6-4EEC-B806-888FADA22464.png

2. saantomoh

saantomoh New Member

3. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

I just recently learned that my 1970 RS SS 396 Cortez Silver Camaro 124870N532015 was sent from Norwood to William Pape Inc. in Huntington New York. I've learned that the dealership has changed hands and I believe the Pape family is no longer involved. Im trying to find my build sheet or POP if either still exists. I've been thinking of paying the DMV to see if I could find the names of some previous owners. Someone might have saved some paperwork or made some copies. Since you all live in NY I thought maybe one of the past owners might be on here. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

man that color combo is nice, your best chances of finding a buildsheet is in the car itself. top, of tank, inside or under seats, under carpet, who knows.......I'd comb through the car and research where exactly to look. mine is a norwood late '72 and there were 3 buildsheets in / with the car when the interior was dismantled in 2010, all still there all legible and 1 was extremely well preserved.

[​IMG]

4. saantomoh

saantomoh New Member

Man you are Lucky!! I had my tank dropped there was nothing there. I took out the back seat there was nothing there. The carpet had been replaced when I bought her. I haven't taken the carpet up to check myself but I'm thinking they are gone. But I will take the carpet out and check before I totally give up. Thanks!

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Try behind the seat backs. They stick them there too sometimes. I've heard above the headliner too, but that's almost a one way trip with an old headliner.

6. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 on checking the seat BACKS.....that's where mine was.
    +1 on be careful on looking for previous owners....I'd be scared someone would see the car and want it back - even if all transactions were perfectly legal, wouldn't want someone causing problems because you have their "car that got away"

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The
    There's other things too with previous owners. Some just don't want to be bothered and will threaten your existence to make a point. Happened to me.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it was shipped to Canada when new, I listed a few VIN's in an old post where it lists all the RPO codes, engine code etc for those VIN's. I had the orig owner of my 70 Z28 check my car out when we stopped for a bite to eat during a poker run 2 yrs ago. He asked if I would sell it. I told him that it's not for sale but I told him I have a friend who owns 2 1970 Z28's, but he said, " I want my car ". He sold it to me in 1981.