Tram lining with ruts/grooves

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 76z28, Jun 24, 2019.

1. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

So I noticed my car likes to tram line lately... For those of you that don't know what that means, it likes to jerk you to whatever groove or rut is in the road.
    I know the causes for this are wide tires, but haven't really found a "fix"

For any of you with this problem, how did you fix it?
    The car drives great otherwise and I don't understand why it likes to follow grooves so bad--my truck had a slightly wider tire on it and doesn't do that!

Really only noticed it going to a short profile tire

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you made any modifications to the front end? Control arms , bushings , have you had the front end checked lately , I thought that crack following , was a sign of something loose?? Interested in the solution.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

If the roads were really rutted, that was always the problem with bias ply tires when they started to wear. If you have radials on it and it's tracking like that, ask around for who is reputable for doing a good alignment. Not just a "tow and go", but someone who's going to do a good check and adjustment. If there's anything loose, and they're good, they'll find it. Most shops around here just want to do the rack and pinion strut alignment anymore and don't want to be bothered with old style steering systems. When I got mine done it took hours and they wanted me in the car. it was over $250.00 and worth every penny. Huge difference.

budro6968 likes this.
  4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you running different width tires front and rear?

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

huge amounts of caster...hleps.....but wide (ie 245-265 tires)....it's going to track the rut....welcome to the world!

also noteworthy is if the car is lowered? how is your bump steer? As a lowering spring will RAISE the spindle in relation to the center drag link pivot points INDUCING MORE bump steer issues as the spindle and idler,drag link, tie rods are no longer on the same arc plane....

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Another thing. Slop in the steering box will cause this even if the steering parts are tight. Sometimes it can be adjusted, but have someone that knows what they're doing do it.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I remember getting stuck in the trolley track on Washington Rd. It used to happen just before the big concrete stop in the road up the street from where I lived. Worn upper control arm bushings and Bias ply tires. What a freak out moment.

xten likes this.
  8. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

From my reading I've learned that tall 'old school' tires have a lot of something called "self-aligning torque". They are good at shrugging off ruts and ridges in the pavement. When you put low-profile tires on a car not designed for them, you lose a lot of that quality. I think that is one of the reasons why people use so much castor angle when they install big wheels. It helps make up the difference.

9. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Everything is stock other than ws6 trans am parts that were installed years ago.
    I am running 245/35-28 up front. No weird wear on the tires to show weird alignment but it is possible it needs it

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

The car has no slop, its super tight... It just tramlines