Tranny Won't go in Park HELP!

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Tallguy2o0o, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Tallguy2o0o

Tallguy2o0o Veteran Member

I did an engine swap then hooked the old tranny to the new engine and connected all the linkage (maybe not correctly as i see now) but the tranny goes into every other gear fine except it won't go into park..the shifter clicks into park but the wheels don't lock up...and ideas on how to fix this?

2. wayner

wayner Veteran Member

Try diconnnecting the shifter linkage, putting the tranny in neutral, then put the shifter in neutral, and hook it up again. Some adjustments may have to be done to position the cable properly. But I have usually found that starting in neutral aligns things up so you get all gear positions or detents.
    Thats if the parking pawl in the tranny is still intact.

------------------
    70 Camaro Z/28 with 461cu.in. BBC & OD Auto, 3.31 12 bolt posi.

3. Tallguy2o0o

I'll try that thanx, park should still work, it worked in the 6 cyl so don't see why it wouldn't work with the 8...its a TH350 by the way...any more advise thanx guys.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you don't have the linkage adjusted right, you are only getting the shift lever to lock into its detent, and not getting the transmission itself all the way into park.

5. Tallguy2o0o

And how can i make it go into park gary?

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

All cars with automatics should have an adjustment in the linkage somewhere that will allow the shifter to reach the correct positions when the tranny is also in the correct positions. I haven't driven an automatic for so long, that I haven't had to deal with those things anymore.

Look at all the linkage. If the shifter uses a cable, the adjustment should be some kind os adjusting nut on one end or the other.

7. Mz28att

Mz28att Veteran Member

If the situation is so bad your car is rolling around and you cant get your key out, you can try something else. Turn the coller on the column that moves as you select gears. I have to do that sometimes to get my key out. This will only work if you connected the linkage from the trans to the frame to the column. Good Luck.

MaTt