Transmission converter flushing GM Bulletin

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by falloutboy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

Hi,
    one thing that always bothered me was that the transmission converter can't be flushed while doing a ATF change. I found this Bulletin

TRANSMISSION CONVERTER FLUSHING PROCEDURE #82-7-111 - (Jun 16, 1983)

THE SERVICE FLUSHING PROCEDURE FOR ALL CONVERTERS HAS BEEN REVISED DUE TO THE ADDITION OF THE CONVERTER CLUTCH. IN THE REVISED PROCEDURE A PIPE PLUG IS USED TO INSURE THAT REBALANCING IS NOT REQUIRED. THE PIPE PLUG CAN ALSO BE REPLACED IF A LEAK DEVELOPS. FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE BELOW:
    1.DRILL A 11/32" HOLE IN THE CONVERTER BETWEEN THE TWO VANE EXTRUSIONS AND ADJACENT TO THE CONVERTER WELD SEAM EDGE. SEE FIGURE 1.
    A.DRILL THE HOLE TO APPROXIMATE COMPLETION.
    B.REMOVE THE DRILL BIT FROM THE STARTED HOLE AND COAT IT WITH GREASE TO HOLD ANY METAL CHIPS.
    C.COMPLETE DRILLING THE HOLE AT LOW DRILL SPEED. NOTICE: TO PREVENT CONVERTER DAMAGE, DRILL AT RIGHT ANGLES TO THE SURFACE AND SLEEVE THE DRILL BIT SO IT CAN ENTER NO DEEPER THAN 1/4".
    2.APPLY GREASE TO A 1/8 X 27 NPSF TAP AND THREAD THE HOLE.
    3.DRAIN AND FLUSH THE CONVERTER AS CURRENTLY DETAILED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.
    4.COAT A 1/8 X 27 NPTF PIPE PLUG WITH TEFLON PIPE SEALANT OR EQUIVALENT AND INSTALL. USE PIPE PLUG PART NUMBER 9427882 OR EQUIVALENT.
    5.TORQUE TO 8 FT.-LBS.
    6.PRESSURE CHECK FOR LEAKS AS DETAILED IN THE SERVICE MANUAL.

With a rudimentary pic where to drill.
    Do you think this is a good and solid idea? As Mercedes torque converters have this plug installed from the factory.

2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I would not want this done to my converter. First, the thought of drilling into it and hoping you get all the metal shavings on the grease covered drill bit is pretty optimistic. I had a trans shot put a plug into a converter once (before it was on the trans) and the guys at Vitar Transmission (big race trans guys from the 60's and 70's) said it was a bad idea. Unless the converter has been balanced with that exact piece of metal in it, it won't be in balance and if far enough off, you will be able to feel that vibration. I'm surprised GM would recommend such a procedure.

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

:eek: lol I guess they're gonna start making the converters with a little arrow .... ---> DRILL HERE

and exactly WTF would you want to FLUSH a tranny anyway? I'm personally not real hip on "stirring" up all the setiment troughout the transmission only to cause another failure. If a fluid and filter change don't get it....it must not need to be got. :)

4. nonstopgo68

nonstopgo68 Veteran Member

i have read of this being done in a chp magazine. they said if go slow with the bit most of the shavings fall out before actually going through.

5. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

are there converters available for TH350 / Th400 and so on - that have a drain plug, like mercedes?

6. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That procedure ONLY applies to a non-lockup converter.
    I wouldn't suggest it. I did it back in the po-boy days successfully. If you use an aluminum pipe plug, the theory is the weight is similar as the steel you removed.

7. gregs78cam

gregs78cam Member

I would only do it if the converter is out. I just drilled and tapped two 1/8NPT holes 180* from each other in the lap of the weld, and flushed it REAL good with a very mild no residue solvent. Then put in flush plugs with loctite. I did the TH350 converter in my truck and the 4L80E the same way. No problems. In fact back in the day converters used to have plugs in them to change the converter fluid. I have the manual somewhere that shows a pic of a converter being drained.

8. retorq

retorq Veteran Member

My RedNeck converter has one, it was a $10 option I believe.

9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

The local Ford dealership in the town I grew up in had a machine that simulated a transmission. The converter snout was placed inside an adapter and then inserted into the front of this apparatus....and was bolted in place using the flexplate bolt holes. It flushed fluid through the torque converter to clean it out. It's been several years since I've been around there so I don't even know if they still have/use it or not.

Another option would be a T-Tech fluid exchanger that a lot of quick lube facilities use. It's the only one I know of that doesn't 'flush', but just replaces old fluid with new....as well as the fluid inside the converter.