Transmission woes...now choices

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Oct 26, 2019.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I hear ya but she’s still solid where it counts. I crawled around pretty intensely this afternoon making sure I wasn’t debating fixing a time bomb with a rotten frame or something.

Anyway - I think I stumbled across the issue, when I dropped the pan the filter was not secure it was loose in the pan. I pushed it up into the seal and it fell right back out. The seal was hard as a rock and distorted. My theory is that because I park on a hill - nose up - which leaves the fluid pulled towards the back and away from the filter neck allowing it to suck air. I only noticed it doing this in the mornings, the rest of the day I’m pretty much on level ground which keeps the neck of the filter submerged so it can’t suck air.
    I popped in a new seal and filter, refilled the trans and away we went. Shall see what happens. The fluid I took out was nice and clean, bright red and no burnt smell, pan was super clean too, no debris or sludge buildup. The true test will be in the morning!

2. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

Dam there went your perfect excuse for that manny trans swap!

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

even if it were a beater.....if its the daily driver, runs and rides (except tranny) well.....hell yeah i would put $800 in it and drive it till she died. ;)
    I've never sent work out...figure I can screw it up for half the price somebody else can screw it up for .... and might even learn a thing or 2. I have stumbled on some things ... but typically the answer is only 1 or 2 phone calls away. (exept that first dana 60 i built back in 1982... i took it to my "MENTOR"....Tony Raimondo...to look at the pattern)

But given you MAY HAVE FOUND the issue....do your filter swap add 4-5 qts button it up....should tell you within a week if you are good to go or not! ;) = what maybe $100

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

My ZR2 has the same "morning sickness". Sometimes it doesn't run for a couple weeks at a time. It's my parts truck. I just put it in first and run it through every gear slowly, then put it in reverse. Goes in right away every time.

5. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Yep that’s the way I feel too! At worst it will cost me less than a grand to do. Being that you can’t buy a decent running truck for what it’ll cost me to repair this one (if the trans is cooked) I’ll just keep on with this one. I bought this truck 6 years ago, she’s never left me stuck anywhere, always pulled hauled and towed everything I want so it really doesn’t owe me a thing.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Well my “theory” was not accurate, the problem continued. Sources more knowledgeable about these than I tell me the reverse clutch is roached. So being in the right place at the right time has not really been a strength of mine, but today oh today was a good day. Picked me up a nice 05 Silverado extended cab. L33 5.3, leather interior, kickass bose stereo. Needs a few little things, ac for one but I can deal with that easily enough. 138k and I won’t say what I paid, but it was cheap. No rust behind those flares either. I looked lol.

3CC57E84-89AA-4DA5-94A4-8815EE5A5ECF.jpeg
    E9594A39-4C61-438F-81B1-59A7DDBD0A0E.png

7. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

….bought another truck.... and how many private messages have you gotten so far from maverick offering to take your old truck off your hands ??? :D

8. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

None so far....not surprised I’m just guessing he doesn’t have much of a market for worn out rusty trucks.

9. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty sure rusty anything is his specialty! My guess is your a little outside of the distance he is willing to travel though.