Tricks for removing sandwich motor mount brackets?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by bpestilence, Jul 21, 2002.

1. bpestilence

bpestilence Veteran Member

There must be nuts hidden down in the frame somewhere, but I have no idea how to remove them so I can replace my mushy motor mounts. Any tricks?

2. 1s87han500294

1s87han500294 Veteran Member

there are holes under there. It is a pain in the butt to get to the nuts under there. I think i used a flex adaptor. also i used a 9/16 distributor wrench in the hole for the a arm.

3. mdatl

mdatl Veteran Member

Search the engine and troubleshooting forums, you will find out what some others (myself included) think about motor mounts.

Get EVERY extension, swivel, size (3/8, 1/4, 1/1, etc..), wrench, 6 pt, 12 pt, distributor wrench, some tape (for the swivels), deep sockets, shallow sockets, sacrifice a couple of chickens, have a magnet for when you drop poo down the a-frame, have a flashlight or two, extra batteries, make sure the moon is in the knees (oops, that's for weaning babies), tide must be heading out, give about 2 hours per side (not counting jacking up the car, engine, etc...), and have a nice day.

They can be a PITA but it is done, I did both sides on mine (one side twice already, oh yea -- don't buy cheap mounts) and after I took all of the above para for granted, it was not so bad.

I want to meet the guy that engineered our heater core location and kick him dead square in his butt every day for about a year then I'm gonna' go hunt the dude that over-rode the idea of motor mount bolt access holes and beat on him the following year.

enjoy,
    /s/MTM

------------------
    '74 Red TypeLT. vortec headed, warmed over SBC 350, edel 1406 carb, summit special cam, dyno cerama headers, 2 chamber flowmasters w/ x-over pipe, TH350 (used to have a 700R4 or 3), 3.08 posi, electric fans, mallory 50 series dist, chrome TH350 dipstick, chrome power steering bracket spacer, hex-head header bolts (package said 5HP LOL), rotting carpet, new pwr steering pressure side hose, blah blah blah bla bla bla bla

shanghai Kid likes this.
  4. Privateer454

Privateer454 Veteran Member

My 80 Z28 has access holes on the side of the crossmember on the passenger side only. The driver's side is accessable only from the bottom. Is this normal or did the machine operator just get back from the bar before my crossmember came down the line?

------------------
    JamesTKirk41
    "My fortune favor the foolish."

5. cycowrencher

cycowrencher Veteran Member

I attemped this when I chaged out my motor, and found that on my 81 all the holes are really there, just get a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 4 and 6 inch extension, another person to operate the top of the bolts, this is easiest with the motor out, but can be done motor in. the drver side is easy, on the passenger side you will either need a distributor wrench or custom bend one to fit. B all mean please get the second person, as it makes life much easier.

6. bpestilence

bpestilence Veteran Member

I was afraid of that. I recognize poor engineering when I see it. I'm going to install the "solid motor mount" adapters from Transdapt and then go with an old-fasioned block-mounted mount. That way I never have to mess with the bolts again. Oh, and I'm doing this as part of a full suspension/front clip rebuild, so hopefully it's a bit easier.

7. rogerh

rogerh Veteran Member

I just got through replacing my motor mounts on a '77 Camaro. I would rather be a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I would also like to meet the person who designed this and give him my two cents! He is probably the same person who designed the location of the heater core. You have to use a long extension, swivel, a 6pt socket, and on the other side a crows foot. Make sure you duct tape the socket, swivel, and extension because 1. If the socket or other comes off, you will lose it in the frame and it is hard to find. 2. It makes the swivel a bit stiffer so you can get the right angle on the back of the nut. Be patient, if I can do it, so can you.

8. Tigs_70

Tigs_70 Veteran Member

Joy, another job to look forward to. I have to change my mounts because they won't work with the 455. I keep going out and looking at it, the turning out the lights and coming back in the house.

------------------
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=591941&
    If it's not broke, it will be

shanghai Kid likes this.
  9. 1978LT

1978LT Veteran Member

Just cut the heads off with a cutoff wheel in a 1/4 die grinder. I need to do mine but I'm not gonna fight it too long.

10. willem

willem Veteran Member

allright 'im in the middle of trying to loosen the engine so i can lift it in order to install a new gasket for the oil pan.

when people refer to unbolting the engine mounts, do they mean the THREE bolts that attach the mounts to the subframe or do they mean the ONE big side bolt that attaches the bracket together.... ?