trim for the vinyl top

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by millpondmonster, Mar 7, 2012.

1. millpondmonster

millpondmonster Veteran Member

far enough out it takes 3 days to get a text messa
    I have a 1973 camaro Type LT. It is all original interior, paint and body parts, and a two seam vinyl top. It is missing the passenger side half of the trim for the lower edge of the vinyl top. The drivers side half and the cap to cover the joint where the two piece's meet in the middle below the rear window, is still there.
    All I have been able to find is a three piece set that has the joints are near the corners of the rear window and does not use caps to cover the joints. I bought a set that was on another 1973 Type LT, (it was even the same color car as mine) with a one seam vinyl top, but it is the three piece style and will work on my car easy enough, but is not the same as my original.
    Can anyone tell me why the difference in trim in almost identical cars? ..........My car does have a lot of "overlap" parts (so was this possibly 72 style trim).....Were these cars made at different plants?......Or were there different types of trim used for a one seam vinyl top compared to a two seam vinyl top? Or ???????????? Hopefully someone can come up with an answer for me.
    Eventually I will find the correct trim for mine, Thanks, Allen

2. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

i have only seen the three piece bright mldgs for the vinyl roof. when you say it was even the same color as yours, are you talking about the mldgs or the car itself? where the mldg clips attach to the car, are the clips riveted on or are there body color pins sticking up for the clips to attach to? may be an aftermarket vinyl roof. what is the color code for the car? if it is a factory vinyl roof the second part of the paint code will be a letter.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

two seam vinyl top with no cap covers on the trim one just overlaps the other . the center peice overlaps the 2 sides

4. millpondmonster

When I said it was the same color, I was talking about the color of the car.
    According to the build sheet and trim tag the vinyl top is factory and color correct. Mine has body pins with plastic clips, as does the parts car that the three piece trim came from. In a side by side comparision, they fit the same body, both are bright mouldings, but have a little different shape to them. The original for my car has a little more rounded edges to it............Allen

5. millpondmonster

Well, not to resurrect an old thread, but...
    It only took seven years, but I found a set of the two piece trim I was looking for.
    I guess I can put my vinyl top on now.

dale68z, BillyDean7173 and 70-camaro like this.
  6. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Excellent, congrats. I still have never seen a two piece set up. Post some pics if you can.

7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOW that's a long time to wait! Please post some pictures showing the 2 different styles of trim if you can.

8. millpondmonster

I don't have any pics of the more common 3 piece trim, but here is the 2 piece that I picked up.
    Some were saying that it has to be aftermarket trim, but this is what fits my factory body pins.
    The gentleman that I bought it from has worked for G.M. since he was 20 years old and is now in his 70s. He was saying that it is factory G.M. trim.
    I can't swear to it one way or the other, but it is what I needed.

Attached Files:

9. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

My '74 had two piece like that. I replaced the one seam vinyl top & put the trim back on with new plastic clips that slide onto the studs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. millpondmonster

Thanks for the pictures.
    That is a great looking car!