Trim tag is confusing

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Rod Roberts, Jun 5, 2019.

1. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

2. hubedobeedo

when i was cleaning it up i was some what confused about the 8 it has a more sharp edge than the tag stamp not sure when or were it had been done . the car was sold new in new jersey eventually somebody got it changed drive train and started drag racing. when i purchased it had a tech sticker from Atco dated 2004. i got it from a guy in Flint MI. showed 66,000+ on odometer. there was some time slips from Atco in the glove box.

Attached Files:

3. hubedobeedo

i think some where over time somebody put that on there for what reason i do not know.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Rod, I have attached a pic of my TT for your reference, 1972 Z28, original tag, had original rivets when I took it off during the rebuild. Did not use original rivets to put back on, but then again, not original colour/engine/trans/rear end were all gone and changed out over it's life time. Canadian imported car, and I have the original GM paper work and "importation package" from George Zapora of GM of Canada, Norwood OH, Jan 12th, 1972 production date, (1 of 54 w/M22) and partial VIN on top of the blower motor, and upside down VIN under the heater box confirms also.

I wondered the same thing with the "10" that's stamped on mine, looked like it was there from the start, maybe a GM thing? would be nice to know. pic1.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

HAA HA, I just looked at mine, and there is an 8 stamped close to the rivet , so I guess it is some sort of code mine is a 71

hubedobeedo likes this.
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I don't think that anybody knows for sure what those extra stamped numbers are on the trim tags. They were added after the tag was on the body as they are stamped from the front of the tag while all the other numbers are pressed from the back.
    One guess would be that these are cars that failed final inspection on the line and were sent to "juvenile court" for corrections. Then, when the problems were corrected, the final inspector could have stamped his number on them to indicate that they are ready for "parole".
    All we really know is that they are not on most tags, but a few do have them.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. hubedobeedo

the mystery continues lol

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen these mysterious numbers on trim tags before. No real answer or conclusion except it was done at the factory for some reason or another. I've only seem them on 1971 & 72 cars.

Here's one from a 72 RS/SS 396 car I owned a few years ago. It has the number '14' stamped in it. I've seen this same number stamped on another tag in 1972.
    100_8.JPG

100_4641.JPG

9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Just pulled my 72 out of 3 year slumber,My trim tag also has 1 4 stamped on it by rivet much the same as above,looks like 2 separate stampings as th 4 is skewed and spaced a bit away- 11B car BTW had it 26 years never noticed-Later Steve!!