trouble decoding VIN and trim tag on a 1975

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by ezequiel, Apr 7, 2019.

1. ezequiel

ezequiel New Member

HAhahahaah if its that way ill drive it to usa!!

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Even if it was built for export and wasn't required to have a catalytic converter... I doubt GM would have put a floor pan from a 74 in a 75.

If it has a 74 passenger side floor pan (no raised area for converter)... It is most likely a 74 (matches VIN) which has had 75-77 quarter panels grafted to it.

Of course... The floor pan might not be original either.

3. ezequiel

ezequiel New Member

It might really i don't know how to tell!!
    how do i know if the engine is matching? j

4. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

With all due respect, I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before;
    It is possible seeing as this car is in South America that one of two things happened:
    1) it was rear ended and a 75-77 rear clip was installed to replace the damaged (one year only) 1974 rear clip - I can only guess how hard it would be to find rear clips in South America!
    2) it has a shady history, and was a stolen 1975-1977 model year car, with tags from a wrecked 1974 swapped on.

If it is case #2, remove the heater box to fin the partial vin.

5. ezequiel

ezequiel New Member

as said before 1) its hard now to get anything here im buying parts online in usa and shipping them here.
    2) in brazil they said it was a car used in a movie and it was going to be wrecked before my friend bought it

on monday its going to be painted and it is fully taken apart I've already removed the heater box.. ill see this week if i can take some more pictures from the passenger side floor and the other parts you are mentioning .

by the way i don't know what a rear clip is :eek:

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Im betting on the suggested theory , its a 74 car with a 75 up rear clip ( back half of the camaro body fenders and rear roof glass area ) . 74 rear clip is a one year item and is hard to find even in the USA . I would guess the correct engine block is long gone .

7. Treyh1588

Treyh1588 New Member

If the floor right in front of the front seats are higher towards the middle of the car it's probably a 75. If the floor is flat from one side to the transmission hump it is probably a 74. If the original seats are in the rear the build sheet is possibly on the under side of the seat. The back window was flat in 74. It's probably long gone but you could also check the drivers door by the latch should have a blue sticker with a VIN and build date on it

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019