Trunk Carpet

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Green hornet, Sep 29, 2018.

1. biggrass

biggrass Veteran Member

Ok thank you

2. biggrass

biggrass Veteran Member

Had one more question where did you purchase the carpet and approximately how much did you use?

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I ordered it from automotiveinteriors.com. It was bulk 80/20 loop carpet with a poly backing. It come 76 inches wide and you can order it by the yard. I ordered three yards to make sure I had extra.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

That looks great. And a trunk in a trunk...who'd ever thunk it? Great idea. Can't even tell it's there, and keeps what you see nice and neat.

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

How do you keep the edges from unraveling? I don't see any stitching or edges (welting?). How do you keep it nice and neat?

6. Green hornet

The trick I used to keep everything nice and clean was to wrap the carpet around the edges and glue it to the back side of the panels. I cut the carpet so it was about an 1 1/2 inches larger than the panel on each side. Once I applied the glue on the back side of the panel and carpet I use clamps to hold the carpet in place until the glue set (about 20-30 minutes). If you don't use any clamps to hold it the carpet will pull away before the glue sets. No stiching or welting required.

7. sinnyz_me

sinnyz_me Veteran Member

Man, if you had those templates you could sell them! I own a sign and graphics business and could reproduce those templates on some styrene cut on a plotter or even some adhesive templates that you could stick to the MDF. Did you keep them?

8. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would be interested in that....

9. Green hornet

Ha, I still have them but they are rough, Frankenstein rough. Believe me there was a lot of fine tuning on the real panels to make everything work. Here is a photo of them. A lot of the work was seat of the pants scribing and cutting. The bottom template in the photo is the one for the side panels. Not sure if you can tell. Lol. I just reversed it for the other side.

image.jpeg

10. sinnyz_me

sinnyz_me Veteran Member

That's great, I know how that goes when you're making a template, always refining! Any chance you could email me some more flat straight on pics of each piece individually? sinclairgraphics1@gmail.com Thanks!