Trunk spring tension...

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by garyandcindy, Jul 9, 2006.

1. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

My car is in the paint shop now and it is a good time to adjust the tension rods.That is if they can be.Years ago I added a spoiler on the trunk and ever since then the trunk lid will barely stay up.If you're on a hill it will not stay up.Can you simple move the ends up a notch or two or how do you adjust them?Mine are in the bottom notch now.

2. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was always led to believe that if you had a trunk with a spoiler you have different tension springs than a trunk that had none. I may be wrong on this. Try a search

3. Cable Slacker

Cable Slacker Veteran Member

You are right!!!

4. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

I put a one piece spoiler on mine, the rods were on the bottom notches, I moved them to the top and the lid stays up fine.

I have heard of people not having as good of luck and having to change springs. I think the proper set of springs for a spoiler is one thick rod and one thinner one. Mine are both the same size.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  5. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How dangerous was this? I'm in the same boat right now.....

6. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

It was a while back, but I don't think it was dangerous.
    Seems like I grabbed on to the ends of the rods with a pair of vice grips and just moved it up.

7. MAP79Z28

MAP79Z28 Veteran Member

It didnt happen to me, but I have read/heard about trunk tension rods that get away from you. Worst cases broke the rear windshields or tore out hunks of skin. Some say that trunk springs rank right up there with coil springs with regards to potential personal injury/death danger. I had to replace one of mine, since it was broken. I took some precautions, used an eight inch length of 1/8 inch pipe, slipped it over the end and was done in twenty seconds. The vice grips will work as long as it doesnt get away from you.

8. cubfan226

cubfan226 Veteran Member

I replaced both my tension rods. The pipe approach worked real well for me too. Just be sure that the spring doesn't come out of the pipe until you've released the tension. Also, I put some padding over the back window - just in case.

I also have the high spoiler. The trunk lid will stay open as long as the lid is open all the way or near all the way, else it won't stay open. Both of my tension rods are the same size - came out of a salvage yard car without a spoiler. If there's something to the bigger rod theory, I'd like to know, but doubt I'd change them out. I rarely need the trunk lid halfway open. ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  9. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    There are three levels of adjustment on each spring. That gives you nine available torque settings for the pair. There is no way near these springs have anywhere near the potential for SERIOUS injury as a front coil spring but they can take a chunk of skin and muscle if let slip.

Just raise one spring to the next notch with a piece of pipe as sugested (I just use a deep socket on a long extension no prob) If you need more support move the opposite side up a notch and repeat as necessary.

I couldn't imagine GM would use difrent sizes when there is inherent adjustability built in.
    Just my .02

10. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    If you get both rods to the highest setting and the lid wont stay up, the rods are toast or you have waaaay too much body filler in the lid LOL.
    Mark

Oh and 2 more cents....