tuning an alcohol engine with egt's

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 4-71/Z-28, Feb 2, 2008.

1. 4-71/Z-28

4-71/Z-28 Veteran Member

well i got my enderle tunnel ram setup running and now it time to tune, i am using a computech egt monitoring system and was wanting some insight as to what egt's are ideal? from all the scattered info ive been able to scrape together on various sites, 1100 WOT but am not sure about idle. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

as I understand it, you cant tune a motor (especially an alcohol motor) with EGT's. you can tune cyl to cyl with EGT's, but the only real way to tune an alchy motor is by looking @ how much of the cadmium plating is flaking off of the ground electrode. you cant tune it like a gas motor & look @ the porceline, because the right tuneup will not leave you color on the plug. I talked with several guys @ our track about it & they ALL had different opinions. one common opinion was "add more fuel until it stops going faster". they all told me that.

Bob

3. TheFly

TheFly Guest

could try a color tune kit, it lets you look into the cylinder while the engine runs.

4. 79Z-28

79Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We always tuned our alky motors w/ egt's,we run around 1250 at wot when we had the enderle on the 383,ilde was around 600 but tune it at wot.We did not have enought motor to run the enderle or the setup was not matching the motor.The hat we had was a bird catcher and we needed a bug catcher.the best it ran on the enderle was 6.39@105 in the 1/8 which it ran the same on a gas dominator.We are going to go to a ron's toliet in a few weeks,I have it made up and sitting on the work bench just have to put it on.going to put the enderle on the BBC that in the cutlass,have the intake and nozzles for it just have to go threw it and change the hat and barrle valve over.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  5. 79Z-28

79Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]here is it when it was in the 79.how about a pic of your setup.