Tunnel Rams

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Appstro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. tqueen

tqueen Veteran Member

Depending on your performance needs, youd probably be better off with the correct size single carb. It just will not look as killer as duals.

2. markw

markw Veteran Member

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

most of the street style tunnel rams have very little plenum area so they're easier to tune for the street . on mine an old 60's style edelbrock TR1-X tunnel ram i've got over 10" of open plenum until it even gets near the intake runners !!!!! :eek: :eek:

4. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

If you want a TR for street duty, then hunt up the little E-brock SB one and then for starters then of a pair of Holley 1850 type 390 to 450 cfm carb's or no more than the small 450 to 500 AFB's so that you don't over barrel area it.

I want to say Weiand made one too, but it's been years. They go under the name "Hi-Ram" if not mistaken???

Sorry not much help here BUT one can be ran on the street if you really want to work w/ it!

pdq67

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  5. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I have always loved tunnel rams! I will bolt one on one day

6. lockbuster

lockbuster New Member

I run a pair of 390's with progressive inkage on my T-ram, It runs great on the street with a mild cam and 700r4 with 4:11 gears

7. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Using a ton of fuel is not an indication of a powerful moter, but an inefficient combination and poor tuning.

I've build 425hp small blocks with stock intakes. That's not really what I consider huge powerful combos.

I've never really seen a 'knock your sox off' fast tunnel ram. It's always been done for the 'cool factor', which can be said about a lot of hot rod stuff. If you did it for the 'cool factor' that is 100% ok. But I wouldn't try arguing it's fast as hell because of the tunnel ram.

-- Joe

8. MyBoTy

MyBoTy Veteran Member

They ain't a problem, just need enough cubes under one to make it shine.
    I have one for a 565 project, I'm betting I don't have any problem with low grunt on the bottom end!

9. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Perhaps. A lot of people ignore runner length and harmonics in relation to powerband.

How much power do you expect the 565 to produce?

I'm just not a fan of big things blocking my vision. To me a lot of power can be made without obstructing view.

-- Joe

10. RacerRick

RacerRick Veteran Member

I am trying to find a small plenum tunnel ram for my 406 - its going into my 57 and will almost fit under the stock hood.

I sold my Eddie TR1 "shoebox" because it was really hard to start when cold, hard to tune, and a general pain in the butt. However, once you hit about 4500 it really started to work and the engine just screamed.