Tunnel Rams

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Appstro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

motor is built to specs of a motion performance phaseIII Z/30 sbc from the 70's ......... also the camaro was built to period correct specs of the 70's when a tunnel ram was the prefered intake

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. tqueen

tqueen Veteran Member

You got to be kidding.

3. muscl car

i said the same thing when i read his post !!!!:confused: :confused:

4. pdq67

pdq67 BANNED

"motor is built to specs of a motion performance phase III Z/30 sbc from the 70's "

Z-30 Isky cam??

I'd play w/ an Offy Z-28 intake instead of a tunnel ram. I'd use the 3x2 top.

Or create a modern version of a 4x2 Man-A-Fre Port Induction intake by setting the 4 barrels in line w/ the ports under each of them and making a mounting plate for each pair so that I could run one long butterfly shaft for both 2 barrels on each side!

I'd also use the big Rochester 2GC's vs the little 2G's to feed her.

Weber carb's would be great, but PRICEY, imho...

pdq67

5. tubbedz

tubbedz Veteran Member

6. muscl car

the Z/30 isky was only 250 @ .050 and 480 lift !!!

1rst design off-road cam GM#140 mechanical flat tappet 257/269 @ .050 493-512 lift 112 LSA 4200-7200rpm

before the edelbrock TR1-X is was running a edelbrock TM-1 tarantula single 4bbl intake

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  7. muscl car

quoted from the article....

8. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No.

Every street car I've seen with a tunnel ram was kind of slow.

While, perhaps a large cube, high revving drag car might do well, how many of those are on the street?

Again, it's not worth it to me to have something sticking out of the hood on a small block when the same power (and more) can be achieved without the visual block. If that point is misunderstood, well, I can't help.

-- Joe

9. Appstro

Appstro Veteran Member

Sounds like a tunnel ram is great for the strip in the 3500-8000 rpm range. Not for street use at all ( but sure looks bitchin'). I love the way they look. Definitely need to learn how to tune them though.

I read the rest of the Car Craft article...
    "As far as the Indy manifold is concerned, we were surprised to find a four-barrel intake that came as close to the output of the tunnel-ram as this one did. Indy certainly did its homework when it produced this clean-slate design. For sheer user-friendliness, look no further than the Indy manifold. We bolted this induction on and laid down well over 500 hp at the wheels. It doesn't get any simpler. Hood clearance with anything more than a 1-inch filter element may be a problem, but the packaging is much more user-friendly than it was with the ram. Indy Cylinder Heads has produced a winner. Not only did it keep the tunnel-ram in sight, it proved much less complex to set up. With the Indy intake, you don't need an expert tuner to get you dialed in. Just bolt it on, make big power and go. For many, that's good enough."

Hmm. This is good stuff :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  10. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Would I pull the extensively tweaked handmade sheet metal tunnel ram off of a Pro Stock engine and bolt on an as cast or even "Max-flowed" single 4bbl singleplane intake? NO.
    Does your average Pro Stock see much action below 6,000 RPM?
    Nope.
    Not many of us have 10,000 rpm capable 500 cu in motors with ports the size of a linebacker's arm either.

A 32 coupe, maybe a 57 Chevy etc going for the "cool factor" with a tiny port, tiny plenum TR with tiny carbs to go with those lawnmower motor sized air filters maybe OK.

Just don't bolt a TR on a stock 72 Chevy PU and try to stomp on it from idle at the Sonic,,,, unless you like big fireball backfires, cranking it a half minute to restart while the whole place is laughing.