Tunnel Rams

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Appstro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

would like the t/ram back as the motor was much more responsive and pulled harder from 4500rpm and up

2. Appstro

Appstro Veteran Member

Well... For me the idea of having a tunnel ram on the street has always been a dream. Until recently I could only wish for that set up. Once I started to look at it seriously I saw many people saying how they lost power with the tunnel ram. I read articles from Car Craft doing "VS." testing that made me worry even more that it may be a bad choice for a street cruiser that wants to go to the strip occasionally.
    My motor is basically stock lower end. I dont have the funds to do a full build right now. Currently the set up is a rebuilt 350 bottom end with about 30,000 miles on it. I replaced the cam with a 268 HE (Comp Cams) 477/480 lift. The intake is a air gap. Carb is 600 cfm (1850 S - Holley). I have a set of Summit Vortec heads and Comp Cams roller tip rockers. I also have a set of headers..I backed all that up with a 2400 stall converter and a shift kit. The rear is a posi unit with 3.73 gears. - Anyway- The car has good street manners and has alot of low end and mid range torque.

What I was hoping for originally: Same set up (minus the vortec heads and using a set of performance heads that work with the TR) with a Weiand tunnel ram and dual Holley 450's. Its all about the look really...I know I could run a tunnel ram. It would "run" but it would be worthless I think.

It seems from my research that the only way to run a tunnel ram effectively is to have a high revving high compression motor that has no business on the street. Thats too bad.. :(

I even looked at the edelbrock dual quad set up with the progressive linkage figuring that it might be a good compromise. There are a few guys in my club that run them and say they are "awesome" but I think they may be biased. They spent $1000.00 on the set up, why would they say it sucked?? :)

I dont wanna start a flaming thread but I AM interested in heated discussions about what set up works and what definitely will not. How much is too much for the street and who's running them?

At Barona drag strip all the average joe weekend guys are running single carbs, nitrous, etc.. The SERIOUS guys run turbo's, and blowers and some nostalgia guys run the tunnel rams.

I obviously have no experience with them and I dont wanna waste money on a lost cause so thats why I asked the original question.

Thanks for the discussion guys. I know alot of you are very experienced and I respect your opinions. Most of my life I have had "carb and header" cars. I wanna take it to the next level. So please forgive me if I sound ignorant :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. Appstro

Appstro Veteran Member

This is old school but its a BAD ASS looking set up :) I would like something like it with velocity stacks :)

4. muscl car

basically a t/ram motor needs good compression like 9.5:1 or better,good flowing cyl heads and a cam that will work well with multi carb set up .a really good ignition system that can burn all of that fuel entering the cylinders .the transmission will need a good loose converter or best yet a manual trans and very low gears like 4.10 or lower preferably 56's or 88's

tunnel rams work their best at rpm's above 4500rpm and if set up properly will see the motor continue to pull and make power alot higher in the powerband

for carb selection if it's just going to a be a street driven set up i would go with either a pair of 450 holleys or like i was running a set of 660 center squirters .both of these carbs were designed for multi carb set ups and worked very well .if you've got the motor for a stout t/ram set up a pair of 750 holley dp would work awesome but then street driveability would suffer some

5. muscl car

thanks .............. it really worked well with my set up and pulled hard to 7200rpm and i did have V-stacks

6. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

personally ive never cared for the small the carbs 450cfm etc, however in my experience, if you stay away from the holley tunnell ram for small blocks, and stick w summitt style tall narrow runners, equalized plenum chamber under carbs, your 268 cam will work well w one, if you buy heads,get small chamber to keep compression up 10-10.5 is real good, i like 600vs holleys, they are gonna be to rich out of the box, i like to replace the power valve w a plug, and you can lean the secondary a little w a peice of wire bent and inserted in the fuel feed holes in the rear plate, add quick change secondary spring kits, start w stiff springs but not the black factory spring, go up 2 sizes on the spuirters, 12-16 initial timing, thats a good starting point, yes it will be cold natured, yes it will require tinkering, but thats the cost to run a tunnel on the street, a single four is much more forgiving and nitrous is alot easier w a single four, however t rams or for some people, just not everybody,

7. Alex71RS

Alex71RS Veteran Member

I have always had great luck with tunnel rams. Don't mess with the 450 cfm Holleys, it's a hassle to convert an 1850 600cfm to work right, and don't mess with the Carters or Edelbrock carburators. The best carbs to use are the Holley 4224 660 cfm because they're designed for tunnel ram usage.

I have always felt that the "loss of torque" theory was an old-wives tale. My tunnel rams ALWAYS picked up torque, because in theory, long intake runners make torque. In order to make a tunnel ram work effectively, you have to have decent compression (10.1 or above), good flowing cylinder heads, and an appropriate cam.

They aren't for everybody, but if you're patient and spend the time to dial in the jetting and the mixture until you get a good reading on the plugs, they flat kick ass.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. Appstro

Appstro Veteran Member

Awesome! Great knowledge here :) Thanks for your input.

9. pinoaktwh

pinoaktwh Member

popularhotrod.jpg

I have no issues running my Tunnel ram, with the exception of traction. Have been using the 450 holleys also, no issues with those either.

Larry

10. Appstro

Appstro Veteran Member

Hey guys,
    Can you post pics and info about your set ups?