Tunnel Rams

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Appstro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bbc nova

bbc nova Veteran Member

Even with dual 400's do you really need 800 cfm on a 350? More than likely not.

2. machinestheman

machinestheman Member

what kind of converter did you use or was it stick car

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

might try one of these this summer with a pair of 660 center squirters !!!:)

[​IMG]

4. vegafish33

vegafish33 Veteran Member

That would be gnarly, when you make that happen post some pics.:bowtie:

5. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

That's a neat setup!

I'm not really into tunnel rams, they're just not for me. However, I've alway's like dual quads on a low profile manifold that'll set under a stock type hood like these two setups C-26 Dual Quad or RPM AIR-GAP DUAL QUAD with a pair of 500 AVS carbs. THIS would be cool too. However I'm no carburetor expert by any means. I'm still waiting on my owners manual from Edelbrock so I can tinker with my 650 AVS.

Some of you guys have some pretty awesome looking setups. Nice pic's for sure! :bowtie:

6. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

TCI street fighter, 3500 stall.

7. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Got a tunnel ram story for you. About 20 years ago I had a '72 RS/SS 4 speed Camaro. A really nice car. A fella traded me an Edelbrock tunnel ram (TM-1?) and two Holley 600's with linkage for a 10 bolt rearend. I bolted it on my car on a Sunday afternoon. Messed around with the carbs and got it to idle at 1200rpm. Ran out of daylight and had to call it a day. Monday morning comes and I gotta drive this beast to work 12 miles. I get about 1/2 block from the onramp to the Freeway and it starts loading up badly. I am revving it to clear it out and it starts backfiring. I say screw it and head up the onramp. It's gettng worse and worse and now I have fuel spraying out the vents onto my windshield! As I merge onto the 101 freeway it lets out a >BANG!< and coughs fire out of the carbs. Now my windshield is on fire! Holy crap! I turned the wipers on high to put it out and now I am flinging fireballs off to the side. Right then a black Porsche 911 comes flying past me and the guys eyes are as big as saucers. The carbs settled down and I made it to work. As I went to park I noticed my oil pressure was 15psi when it is usually 60. Yep, you guess it. I drained the oil and a quart or more of gasoline had washed past the rings. Thanks to this tunnel ram, I learned how to completely rebuild Holley carbs in a parking lot.I took it off when I got home and sold it. My first and last tunnel ram.

8. machinestheman

machinestheman Member

yeah i have actually been doing some reading and just from personal experience i have learned one thing for sure it truly dosent matter what you bolt on top of your tunnel rams but theirs no out of the box solution for them lol i figure if i can get it going right itll prolly take me a few weeks of tinkering and a couple sets of spark plugs to get it figured out but im hoping the head turn factor and the i ****ing dare you cam lobe at the red light will be worth it all
    oh and some what i am percieving as bad news right now i believe the carbs on my car right now are not 650 cfm at all but they bear a striking resemblance to the holley 770 cfm carb i found on summitracing which is bigger than i feel comfortable messin with also the damn things have a vacuum secondaries and even worse their no seconday accelerators anybody got any good news that can help me either identify these if not i think i will be better off with the 660s

9. Penskr2

Penskr2 Member

finally got mine on it runs excellent. TWO EDELBROCKS 1406's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

me likes the stuff sticking autta da hood!!!!!!